none
To Recover data from a Failed windows 7 Migration done thru MDT2012 RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

We are in process of upgrading the Windows XP to Windows 7, I have created a Windows image using MDT 2012.

When i was testing in one PC after capturing usmt pc restarted in windows PE mode and started installing windows 7 and suddenly due to cd drive reading error the setup failed and the migration failed, after i restarted the PC,  the windows 7 was not installed properly and it has deleted all the data in C drive and in d drive the data remains as it is.

Can you please tell me how to handle this kind of issues and how to recover the data of C drive as we are not taking backup in external drive.

Thanks in advance

D. Sendil Kumar

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:14 AM

Answers

• This is a catastrophic error, there are no easy answers at this point.

You might be able to import the exported USMT data when performing a new computer installation, but the new computer installation would reformat the drive first.

First, look to see if the USMT data is present on the C: Drive. Hopefully you stoped the installation process so MDT didn't wipe the data. IF so. I would remove the drive, and put it into a USB case. then attempt to USMT restore.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:09 AM