VISTA RC1 "File greater than 2GB, ISO file format not supported" RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the Vista RC1 ISO from M$ and obtained my CD key. When using Nero 6 Ultra Edition, I get an error message indicating that because the ISO image is >2G, the ISO format is unavailable.
    When I burned the disc on my NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A on a Fuji (made in Japan, Taiyo Yuden?) DVD-R on 2X (as UDF format, the only format that would burn), it came through as simply a copy of the ISO image.
    What am I doing wrong?

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:31 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure....however, check the following to ensure compliance with ISO/UDF file formats:

ensure that the character set is set to "ISO 9660"

ensure there is NO emulation

ensure the boot sector is set to "4", not "1", else it wont boot

Hope this helps.

btw, I was able to load this ISO to a HDD, Windows Vista Ultimate is now operating on my PC.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 12:31 PM

All replies

• did you download it to a FAT partition ? not a ntfs or fat 32 partition I have see that as a problem

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 3:07 PM
  • No, it was downloaded to an NTFS partition using Windows XP.

However, I solved the problem by using "Nero Express" and using the "copy disk" option...which then gave me a new problem:

"windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the install. error code 0x80070003"

At this point I am going to reburn the disk at a slower speed (was burned at 2.4X on Fuji (made in Japan) DVD-R. If that fails, I'll just order the disk from M$ (ugh!).

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:50 AM
  • My x64 refuses to burn the MS downloaded RC1 image, messaggge says>

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
    that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

I tried in my other XP SP2 licensed PC... and the same happens.... any way to fix this?

Saturday, September 30, 2006 11:00 AM
  • I've seen a number of posts on this issue. I burned through 10-12 DVD+R, re-downloading and verified the checksum, and used Nero, Alcohol 120%, and MagicISO --- NOTHING WORKED.

So I decided to make a trip to CompUSA. I just purchased a new Sony DVD Recorded and a 50 pack of Memorex DVD-R discs. I just burned the ISO with Nero and it worked on the first try. I now have Vista build 5728 up and running on my new Dell M1210 laptop.

So try using DVD-R instead of DVD+R. If that doesn't do it... try a new recorder.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:42 PM
  • I'm not sure....however, check the following to ensure compliance with ISO/UDF file formats:

ensure that the character set is set to "ISO 9660"

ensure there is NO emulation

ensure the boot sector is set to "4", not "1", else it wont boot

Hope this helps.

btw, I was able to load this ISO to a HDD, Windows Vista Ultimate is now operating on my PC.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 12:31 PM
  • I have downloaded Windows vista rc1 installation file in rar format which on extraction shows only one txt file.

Then how can I proceed with the installation.without a setup file?Send me the help  so that I can extract this rar archive and get windows

vista installed on my computer.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:17 AM