Vista Recovery DVD : Fails at Searching for Windows RRS feed

• Question

•  

My computer is failing to boot and gets stuck on loading c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\crcdisk.sys. I have read various submissions from different forums and also tried out suggested fixes without much luck.( running chkdisc)

I think my problem relates to the issue decribed @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649 , where a hot fix on a PC with older SATA drives failes to boot after installation of the hotfix. I need to repair Windows in order to get the system to boot, this is also proving to be a difficulty.

1. Insert Windows Vista CD, start the computer.

2. Select Lunguage, the Next

3. Select "Repair your computer"

4. Two forms are now displayed, Non-active ( System Recovery Options , operating systems set to Microsoft Windows Vista). Second Form, Active (System Recovery Options, Seaching for Windows installations... )

It just gets stuck at this point.

Please assist

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Willard_Tapuwa,

Thank you for the post.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Note: If you only have a Windows Vista OEM disk (not a retail disk), the method to enter WinRE can be different. You may need to contact your OEM to ask how to enter WinRE.

What’s the result?

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:44 AM
  • Hi Tim

Thanks for the response, could not complete any of the options above as the recovery process gets stuck and I cannot select the Drive where windows is installed.

Best Regards

Willard 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  

Hi Willard,

Thank you for the reply.

First I would like to know if the Windows Vista system is a retail version of is preinstalled by your OEM. If your computer is an OEM one, I recommend contacting your OEM to consult how to enter WinRE.

Currently, I suggest trying to enter Safe Mode. If we can enter Safe Mode, please try to rename crcdisk.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers to crcdisk.old. Restart the computer and test the issue. You can also try to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred in Safe Mode.

If Safe Mode cannot be accessed either, I suggest unplugging all unnecessary devices such as sound card, printer and network card. Can we start the computer now? Can we boot from the Windows Vista disk and enter WinRE this time?.

However, if the issue persists, we may need to reinstall Windows Vista. Although reinstalling Windows Vista can be complex, it will be a quick resolution if no data needs to be backed up on the system drive. Thank you for your understanding.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:40 AM
  • Hi Willard,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Hi Tim,

The forum was not accessible over the last few days, I will try the soln and advise.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 5000 initialy installed with Windows XP Service pack 2. Upgraded to Vista Home Premium. Dell with therefore no longer support this.

Regards

Willard.

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Please advise the Windows Vista - rebuild process as all other options have failed.

Regards

Willard

Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:11 PM
  • new to this, i just bought a laptop, running vista pre home. is getting stuck doing same thing as discribed above, do not have vista disk, was on hard drive when bought. can i get a boot up program e-maile dto me so that i can go through the recovery process? would that work? have other laptop, (different type) has vista on it, is there a specific file i can copy to make this work. thanks ted

Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Hi Tim

My problem is similiar if not the same.

BTW i have tried all that you have listed above but with no joy at all.

When I've tried reinstalling vista from the original CD that came with my dell vostro1700 , it all seems fine until it reaches the point of "Completing Installation' and then even though the three dots keep reappearing along the text "Completing Installation', but the progress bar just doesn't move at all from about 3/4 of the way to completion. I've been trying this for the last 4 days and now I wish I didnt ask for Vista.

Please, please help, I'm a University  student and I desperately need my laptop.

Thank you.
    Ricci

ps as an alternative could you advice with options on how to completely format the hard drive and reinstall windows. Thanks
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 8:28 PM