Saving file only to its original location in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I explored a lot of options but icould not find a solution to this scenario

- a User Opens a Document in MS office from a Sharepoint Document Library

- the User can edit the document and save it to Sharepoint and only to its original location

- the user cannot save the document on another path ( Loacl folders, other Sharepoint Document Liraries)

- there is only one copy of that document which exists in the original Document Library

note: Using Sharepoint 2007

Help is Appreciated

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>the User can edit the document and save it to Sharepoint and only to its original location

NO, You can also save the document in your drive, other library etc. Whenever you open the document, just use "Save As" option of MS office to save the document in another location.

Please let us know your problem in this

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:06 AM
  • I was required to limit this on specific libraries

and i think it is justifie for use

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:02 AM
  • have you tried using IRM (Information Rights management) options in SharePoint?
    ceren
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:24 AM
  • if you want to save it to any other location you can edit the document and open it in windows explorer mode so from there you can copy it to your disc and then upload as multiple documents to your desired library

this is done by Actions>Open with windows Explorer this will opens all the files in that library so then you can copy the necessary Documents to your Disk and from the Destination library click the upload button and upload multiple documents button can be seen you can use this options to save those Documents into this Library

another method is by going to the Content and Structures

from there click on the source library and select the file copy it from Settings and then you will get the destination folder/Library options so select the Destination library and Click Ok

Alen Austin
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Thanks for the replies

Just want to clarify a point

I am Trying to implemnt the scenario i described above

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:19 PM
  • I think you have to make use of something like IRM as suggested by Cerenn. We used IRM to limit users from viewing, downloading attachments from email. I think you can do something similar for SharePoint libraries too.

Excerpt from MSDN on IRM + WSS 3.0

"With Windows SharePoint Services, IRM is available for files that are located in document libraries and stored as attachments to list items. Site administrators can elect to protect downloads from a document library with IRM. When a user attempts to download a file from the library, Windows SharePoint Services verifies that the user has permissions to the given file, and issues a license to the user that enables access to the file at the appropriate permissions level. Windows SharePoint Services then downloads the file to the user's computer in an encrypted, rights-managed file format."

Full article is available here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms458245(v=office.12).aspx

Regards, Mahesh
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:28 PM
  • With All respect to the replies above using IRM only protects the downloads and libraries (encrypts the documents with the rights and permissions) still i cannot prevent users from misbehaving and saving the document after editing to thier work stations or rather locations other than the original location

again thanks for the replies and i am looking forward to be able to find a solution with your support and help

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:25 AM