none
Group Policy to block Store not working after November 2015 Update RRS feed

• Question

• We have been blocking access to the Windows store through Group Policy, however since we applied the latest November update to Windows 10, that policy is no longer working.  We ran into the problem described here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013 but have corrected that.  I had hoped that after fixing that the policy would start working but so far no dice.  Gpresult shows the policy as though it's been implemented but it still shows as Not Configured in the local group policy editor and of course the users can still access the store.  Anyone else seen this or something similar?

Thanks

EDIT:  Okay, so I still can't get the GP to kick in but I went ahead and manually changed the settings in the local Group Policy editor and it's still not being enforced, am I missing something?  I'm inclined to think that this is a bug, but I'd love to hear suggestions if anyone has any.  Thanks

• Edited by tsew2674 Monday, November 23, 2015 7:16 PM Update
    Monday, November 23, 2015 6:03 PM

Answers

• After doing some searching in the Windows 10 forum that you suggested, a comment from a guy who shows as working for MS, says that the RemoveWindowsStore will now only work on Enterprise editions of Windows and we are running Professional, I assume you must be on Enterprise?.  I hope that gets changed in the future, but that appears to be what has happened...I assume ad revenue from the Store is the reasoning behind this, but it seems like a pretty low-blow, there are lots of businesses out there not running Enterprise editions of Windows...

Here's the page that I saw this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9514c7a6-991b-48b0-95ab-33edfc029c52/windows-10-enterprise-disable-store-feature?forum=win10itprogeneral

• Marked as answer by tsew2674 Monday, December 14, 2015 7:04 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you updated your Group Policy Administrative Templates recently? If this is a domain-based Group Policy, then it will not affect the setting in Local Group Policy Editor.

Are you trying to deploy the policy setting below?

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store - Turn off the Store application

If yes, after applying the setting, do gpupdate /force, then verify whether below registry key is created on client machines:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore
    Value name: RemoveWindowsStore
    Value data: 1

By the way, the template (LocationProviderADM.admx) mentioned in the KB article (KB 3077013) in your question has nothing to do with Windows Store policy settings, the related one is WinStoreUI.admx.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:19 AM
  • Thanks, I had in my head that the domain group policy was reflected in the local group policy after it had been applied, but I guess I was wrong about that. 

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store - Turn off the Store application is the setting I'm using and it worked until the November update to Windows 10 (Build 10586), well in full disclosure I'm applying that setting under User Configuration instead of Computer because as I understand it that allows the computer to continue to access the store to update any built-in apps that come with Windows 10.  I've actually tried both settings though once I noticed that it wasn't working.

I just checked the registry key and it is set to 1, however the store still loads. 

The LocationProviderADM.admx problem was unrelated but I hoped that maybe that error was the causing any settings after it occurred to not apply correctly, however I've fixed that and this is still not working. 

Can anyone try to test blocking the Windows Store on a Windows 10 build 10586 and see if it works?  Like I say, I assume it's a bug as it was working and now it's not, but I'd be interested to see if any is able to get it to work in their environment.  Thanks!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:56 PM
  • I just checked the registry key and it is set to 1,

So the Group Policy applied well on the client computer. I have tested this on a Windows 10 build 10586, it works well for me. After applying the policy, the correct registry key was generated, and the Store was blocked successfully.

At this point, I'd suggest you post in our dedicated Windows 10 forum for further investigation. There you should get the most qualified pool of respondents for Windows 10 related issues:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:46 AM
  • After doing some searching in the Windows 10 forum that you suggested, a comment from a guy who shows as working for MS, says that the RemoveWindowsStore will now only work on Enterprise editions of Windows and we are running Professional, I assume you must be on Enterprise?.  I hope that gets changed in the future, but that appears to be what has happened...I assume ad revenue from the Store is the reasoning behind this, but it seems like a pretty low-blow, there are lots of businesses out there not running Enterprise editions of Windows...

Here's the page that I saw this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9514c7a6-991b-48b0-95ab-33edfc029c52/windows-10-enterprise-disable-store-feature?forum=win10itprogeneral

• Marked as answer by tsew2674 Monday, December 14, 2015 7:04 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Sorry for cross posting, but I was posting in the other thread that you also linked here.  I'm not willing to accept the answer that it only works in Enterprise now.  Nobody has been able to provide a source or documentation stating that this is the case.  I'm going to consider it a bug until I hear otherwise.  Sadly, this is preventing me from rolling out Windows 10 to 100+ computers in my environment since we'd be using Professional and not Enterprise.  I hope Microsoft sheds some light on this soon.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:33 PM
  • I agree, I've left feedback through the feedback app and every other place I can find.  Like you, I'm hoping this was an unintentional bug and not a deliberate decision.  Our Windows 10 implementation has come to a screeching halt until this is straightened out...
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:59 PM
  • I really wish I could get an official response from Microsoft. This is the only reason why I haven't deployed Windows 10 Pro across our organization.  Please Microsoft, say something on this.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:42 PM
  • For what it's worth, I installed the latest preview build (Version 11082) on a test pc hoping that Microsoft had seen the errors of its way, however the RemoveStore policy is still being ignored.  Such a shame, I suspect that like @sckbassg3 and myself, there are many organizations that were all set to implement Windows 10 only to find out that MS had striped the ability to manage the PC's to comply with company policy...

Saturday, December 26, 2015 6:04 PM
  • For what it's worth, I installed the latest preview build (Version 11082) on a test pc hoping that Microsoft had seen the errors of its way, however the RemoveStore policy is still being ignored.  Such a shame, I suspect that like @sckbassg3 and myself, there are many organizations that were all set to implement Windows 10 only to find out that MS had striped the ability to manage the PC's to comply with company policy...

So I just downloaded and installed the new 11099 Preview Build of Windows 10 Pro in hopes that this was fixed.  Still broke.  :-(
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:06 PM
  • Can it be disabled for Windows 10 Pro via some registry key instead until the normal GPO template works?

I checked the RemoveWindowsStore dword and it is already set as "1." but the Store opens anyways.

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:30 PM
  • Build 11102 tested.  Still no love.

Edit:  I have confirmed that the other GPOs work.  It is possible to block users from launching apps from the store or downloading apps.  However, the built in Windows Store apps (Finance, Sports, etc.) still work.  If you remove them and then try to re-add them from the store, they will be blocked.

• Edited by sckbassg3 Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:32 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Well, that's something.  Do you mind posting where the policy is that you are using to block apps from launching?  Also, is it only working on the preview build or does it apply to the 11586 build as well?
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:48 PM
  • I just got off a 3 hour phone call with Microsoft trying to solve this issue and I had no luck.. I mentioned to them that I found this post and all of a sudden their answer was that it is only supported on Enterprise... This is very frustrating as I am also in need of rolling out many Windows 10 computer but am at a halt until this issue is resolved. Microsoft please fix this asap!
    Monday, January 25, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Looks like we're screwed:

Knowledgebase article

3135657                Can't disable Windows Store in Windows 10 Pro through Group Policy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3135657/EN-US

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Dang, that is unfortunate.  Microsoft sold out us System Admins to ad revenue and app developers....I was really liking Windows 10 too
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:31 PM
  • You can still blocks Store apps from running on Windows 10 Pro, but the users will see the apps and will be able to attempt to launch them.

You would need to deinstall the apps from the image before deploying the system to prevent the apps from being displayed.  You can also block using Microsoft accounts which would prevent logging into the store to download apps.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:53 PM
  • http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

Prepare yourself for the Anniversary update

This just gets worse and worse.

It's interesting that Microsoft does not detail these changes on their own sites.  This information is only listed on third party blogs and news sites.

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Windows 10 editions for education customers:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3181976?sd=rss&spid=18165

Manage Windows 10 and Windows Store tips, tricks, and suggestions (Windows 10):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/manage-tips-and-suggestions?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It's hinted in there.

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Hinted maybe, but it is a stretch that requires a lot of assumptions to jump from what's actually stated on the Microsoft page to what was posted on the Ghack's page.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 11:04 PM