none
Windows 2012 R2 File Server Performance Issues

Question

• Hello,

I recently migrated several file shares from Win2k3 to Win2k12 R2. Ever since I migrated, I have been having sluggishness and unresponsiveness with the new file server. For instance, I have an MS Access developer and he has access db files stored on one of these shares. He will have the database open throughout the day, updating code, etc... When he goes to save occasionally, the db file become corrupt. He has been forced to develop locally on his C drive because of this. We have other applications that use shares on this server. These applications depend on the files on these servers to be available. When there is a blip in communication with the file server, the application crashed. In both of these examples, this did not happen in Windows 2003.

I have ran several perfmon sessions on the server to see if there are glaring issues with performance. I did not notice anything. I have also received complaints that the performance is worst during a certain time of the day. I checked scheduled tasks and there is nothing running around that time. I have also ensured that deduplication is turned off.

Your help is appreciated.

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Matthew1313,

> For instance, I have an MS Access developer and he has access db files stored on one of these shares. He will have the database open throughout the day, updating code, etc...

May I ask the files are all related to the application and other service? Not like the general office files?

If so, I suggest you please also contact the application vendor for these files. Is there any other settings to migrate these files. To confirm that whether these application and application files supported on the new server or not.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:53 AM
  • We have been experiencing this with Office type files (Access is the most noticeable) and other third party applications. I have reached out to those vendors and there is nothing special needed on their end except consistent access to the files (which is not happening).
    Monday, April 24, 2017 12:44 PM
  • Hi Mattew1313,

May I ask how do you migrate these files? What kinds of the tools? With build-in feature, it is recommend to do migration with File Server Migration Toolkit. And could you please post the specific error message? And also check the event viewer.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:31 AM