App Controller console doesn't load settings when viewed from local App Controller server RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed a strange behavior in my installation of App Controller (have applied UR 2). When browsing to the App Controller console (launching from start menu or browsing to https://<ACServerFQDN>, the Settings node does not appear. However, the settings node does appear if browsing to the site from a different machine.

From the local App Controller browser:

From a different computer:

This is with the same user.

Thanks,

Noah

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks Noah - this confirms you're experiencing the issue we've previously seen.

We don't have a resolution for this issue, but as you've discovered, there are two workarounds available:

• Connect to App Controller from a remote computer (this is our recommended workaround)
    • Run IE elevated on the App Controller server (we do not recommend this as we prefer folks to run their browser as a non-admin).

The issue seems to be the way authentication is occurring on the local server and the authentication not correctly recognizing you as an administrative user.

Kind Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Noah,

This seems similar to an issue we've seen before.

A couple of questions to help narrow down what is going on:

1. Is User Account Control (UAC) enabled on the App Controller server?
    2. Is the browser session being run elevated (i.e. as administrator) or as a standard user?
    3. Do you know if this also occurred prior to enabling single sign on?
    4. Does this occur when using https://localhost?
    5. Is App Controller correctly displaying your user name in the top right of the page when logged into the localhost?

Thanks

Richard

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Richard,

Some answers to your questions:

1. UAC is in default setting

2. Looks like this is the issue. Problem occurs from a non-elevated instance of IE. When using an elevated instance of IE, the Settings node DOES appear.

3. No, the functionality works before enabling single sign (from standard and elevated IE). So enabling SSO also contributes.

4. Using localhost vs FQDN is no different in result

5. Yes, user name displays correctly in all cases

Hope that helps.

Noah

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Thanks Noah - this confirms you're experiencing the issue we've previously seen.

We don't have a resolution for this issue, but as you've discovered, there are two workarounds available:

• Connect to App Controller from a remote computer (this is our recommended workaround)
    • Run IE elevated on the App Controller server (we do not recommend this as we prefer folks to run their browser as a non-admin).

The issue seems to be the way authentication is occurring on the local server and the authentication not correctly recognizing you as an administrative user.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi Guys,

any other workarounds? i'm experiencing the same issue but none of the workarounds work for me, i never get the settings pane to show up.

btw i'm running server 2012 with the vmm sp1 beta console on the appcontroller server

kind regards,

Alex

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Hi Alex

Are you using SP1 Beta of both App Controller and VMM? App Controller and VMM versions must match.

Regards,

Richard

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:09 PM