none
Deleted Group Policy cannot be removed

Question

• Our group policy was very messy with 100's of group policies all doing similar things so I started combining policies to remove the overlap and in the process some old policy which included legacy Internet Explorer Maintenance settings cannot be overridden. 

The policy has been deleted so on clients it comes up as the GUID, so I thought nevermind I will just use an old windows 2003 server to create a new policy with the same IEM settings to become the winning GPO and overwrite the deleted policy. This did not work however as this deleted policy always becomes the winning GPO for whatever reason, even if I enforce this new policy it will not take precedence over this deleted GPO.

I am at a loss on what to do next, even brand new laptops are picking up this deleted policy when it should not exist. The GUID does not exist in ADSI, its not in the Sysvol and replication is set every hour, this policy should no longer exist anywhere but it still cannot be overwritten. The settings being enforced is having auto browser configuration set to off and proxy forced off. We need to set a proxy but even putting in the proxyenable registry keys in will not override this deleted IEM policy.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen Timms,

Thanks for your post.

when you delete the GPO, do you have the enough permission? If you do not have rights to delete a link, the GPO will be deleted, but the link will remain.

Please also check the guide for Delete a Group Policy Object

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc757789(v=WS.10).aspx

And here is the article about Preventing a Group Policy object from being overridden

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc758344(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Those links are for Server 2003 and our Active Directory servers are 2008. I only installed GPMC on 2003 to play with IEM settings I do not have Active Directory installed. This No Override option was replaced by enforced? I have already tried this "even if I enforce this new policy it will not take precedence over this deleted GPO".

Stephen

Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:10 AM