Windows 7 64 bit Random Freeze RRS feed

• Question

• Both my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) and my desktop (Dell XPS-420) randomly freeze up the laptop with the busy cursor and the desktop with a solid hard drive light.  I downloaded a hotfix from microsoft to fix a problem with the Fltmgr.sys file that they say is the root cause of the freeze to no avail.  The problem still exists on my laptop.  I have perfromed a clean boot to eliminate 3rd party software and drivers to no avail.  The problem is still there.  I read another post on here relating to MSE as a possible cause of this issue.  However, I have Norton products on both of these machine and am having the same problem.  Maybe it has to do with security software and windows 7 and not Fltmgr.sys  Just a thought.  I am going to try uninstalling norton and see if the problem goes away.
    Mark Carroll
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please open Task Manager to see which process consumes most of CPU resource. If it is iexplorer.exe, see the following link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-to-do-if-Internet-Explorer-stops-responding

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:00 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Well I think I may have solved the issue.  I was on the phone with a Dell tech and we were disabling services and startup programs when I noticed a program called Comcast Antispy.exe

This was installed with the same security package that I got from my cable company which includes Constant Guard, Norton Security Suite, IDVault and an Xfinity (Comcast Cable Company) Toolbar for internet explorer.  This toolbar had installed the Anti spyware program and I think it was not getting along well with the norton antispyware or something.  Anyway the computer didn't freeze first thing this morning as it usually does.

Mark Carroll

Update 12/6/11 the computer doesn't freeze anymore after uninstalling the Xfinity toolbar.

• Edited by Mark_Carroll Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:28 AM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:12 PM

All replies

• After installing the hotfix from microsoft last night I have experienced no freezes today!  My wife, on the other hand, said she had to reboot her laptop due to a freeze this morning.  After that the laptop didn't freeze again for the rest of the day.  But this will take some time to see if the hotfix worked.  I will keep you posted on the results.
    Mark Carroll
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:33 AM
  • So far the freezes keep happening.  It usually happens in the morning after the laptop has been in Sleep/Hibernation for the night.  Then after the hard reset it doesn't freeze again for the rest of the day
    Mark Carroll
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

If you encounter issue related to wake up, please refe to the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266283 

Also, please boot in Safe Mode to check whether the issue still heppens.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Does the laptop sleep in Safe Mode?
    Mark Carroll
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Okay this time the laptop froze while she was using it. she was surfing the web when the pointer turned to a circle and nothing would work.  I was able to do ctrl-alt-delete and log off and then log back on and the problem was gone.
    Mark Carroll
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 6:25 PM
  • So I was looking at the installed programs and noticed that there were two anti-virus programs installed.....this could be the whole reason it was freezing.  Just have to wait and see.
    Mark Carroll
    Friday, December 2, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

Please open Task Manager to see which process consumes most of CPU resource. If it is iexplorer.exe, see the following link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-to-do-if-Internet-Explorer-stops-responding

Friday, December 2, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Hello Mark Uninstall Once all the Norton Related Products From Your Computer and then see have you same Problem again

Please Let Me Know

Thanks
    Friday, December 2, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Well I think I may have solved the issue.  I was on the phone with a Dell tech and we were disabling services and startup programs when I noticed a program called Comcast Antispy.exe

This was installed with the same security package that I got from my cable company which includes Constant Guard, Norton Security Suite, IDVault and an Xfinity (Comcast Cable Company) Toolbar for internet explorer.  This toolbar had installed the Anti spyware program and I think it was not getting along well with the norton antispyware or something.  Anyway the computer didn't freeze first thing this morning as it usually does.

Mark Carroll

Update 12/6/11 the computer doesn't freeze anymore after uninstalling the Xfinity toolbar.

• Edited by Mark_Carroll Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:28 AM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:12 PM