none
DPM 2012 Secondary server does not display primary server replicas RRS feed

• Question

• Have followed the TechNet article to try to set up a secondary DPM server to backup replicas from the primary.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244597.aspx

From secondary DPM server (DPM2) have installed agent on primary DPM server (DPM1).

However, when creating Protection Group, expand DPM1 and do not see the replicas in the expanded list.  Only All Shares, All SQL Servers, All Volumes, HyperV and System Protection.  The replicas are not within any of those when expanding them out.

Also, in DPM 2007 you used to be able to configure the secondary DPM server as secondary protection for clients in case the primary failed.  I don't see any reference to configuring this anywhere, nor see any method of doing so in the 2012 Admin Console.  Has this feature been removed in 2012?

Would like to know how to configure the secondary server to back up the replicas on the primary and how to add secondary protection for clients.

TIA

Rick

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:42 PM

Answers

• There wasn't a Protected Servers category displaying when expanding the primary DPM server while creating the Protection Group on secondary DPM.

I have since figured this out, though.

All other protected servers with agents installed were attached on the secondary DPM server.

Following a suggestion from a post in different thread, on the secondary DPM server I attempted the Uninstall Agent procedure for these servers.  This uninstall will fail, but asks if you want to remove the server from the database, which I did.  Once these are removed from the secondary server's database, the Protected Servers started to display when expanding the primary DPM server during Protection Group creation.

Rick

• Marked as answer by scdl Monday, April 22, 2013 4:37 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• They are  shown when you expand  "Protected Servers" from the list when you expanded the DPM server.

Are there any updates for the DPM agent you have installed?

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:20 PM
  • There wasn't a Protected Servers category displaying when expanding the primary DPM server while creating the Protection Group on secondary DPM.

I have since figured this out, though.

All other protected servers with agents installed were attached on the secondary DPM server.

Following a suggestion from a post in different thread, on the secondary DPM server I attempted the Uninstall Agent procedure for these servers.  This uninstall will fail, but asks if you want to remove the server from the database, which I did.  Once these are removed from the secondary server's database, the Protected Servers started to display when expanding the primary DPM server during Protection Group creation.

Rick

• Marked as answer by scdl Monday, April 22, 2013 4:37 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:37 PM