Acer 5720Z plus Pioneer dvr-K17RS ATA = trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi im Rob

I own an acer 5720Z which i  bought dec07.Its been at the acer repair office in sydney twice.It has vista premium on it when i bought it.It had a matshita dvd drive originaly that boke after a few months.It was never right when i bought it,1 out of 20 cd dvd blanks would record ok untill it stopped recording and continuously had dvd errors.It went to the repair shop which they then replaced the dvd unit and put in a slimtype dvd drive which was pristine for as few months and then went out in one go,no warning it just stopped working ,wouldnt recognise any discs in drive.It went back a few weeks ago to acer again where this time they replaced the drive with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17RS.I got it back a few days ago. You put in a movie disc and playback is eratic and slow.it plays good then slow within a few seconds.Itrecords dvds ok but is damn slow.While the drive is in use either playing or recording any functions you use on it is like slow motion the pointer,the double click,the net anything its slow.If you dont use the drive everything is normal so thats telling me the dvd drive is affecting everything when operational.I cant even change the region its stuck on region 3 and wont let me change it even thogh i can another 4 times.it says error needs region 4 media.Can anyone help me before i smash it and chuck it in the bin thanks.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the DVD ROM work properly now?

If not, we known upper and lower filter drivers may cause the issue sometimes. Please try to modify the registry to troubleshoot this issue.

Modify the Registry

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

If possible, could you please try to reinstall Windows Vista on the computer? If the issue still persists after reinstalling Windows Vista, it should be a hardware issue.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As the DVD region cannot be changed, I suspect this is incorrect driver problem or hardware problem.

At this time, let’s focus on the driver issue. To do it, please remove all the DVD drives and install latest driver to troubleshoot this issue.

Remove the DVD drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Please uninstall all the items.

Then, please restart the computer and Windows will reinstall the drive automatically.

Does it work now?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:23 AM
  • thanks for the advice,ive already tried that and the piece of *** still hasnt changed although after defragmenting the laptop it looks like it went back to normal.ill have another go maybe co-incedence who knows how long before it breaks again.

thanks
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Does the DVD ROM work properly now?

If not, we known upper and lower filter drivers may cause the issue sometimes. Please try to modify the registry to troubleshoot this issue.

Modify the Registry

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

If possible, could you please try to reinstall Windows Vista on the computer? If the issue still persists after reinstalling Windows Vista, it should be a hardware issue.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Im not an expert with computers.How do i reinstall vista?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:52 PM
  •  

Hi,

You can take a Clean Install or an In-place Upgrade Installation.

Clean Install

===============================

Note: In a Clean Installation, existing data is removed. This data includes personal data and settings. After you install the Operating System, you must also reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data before you perform a Clean Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from DVD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Please input the language and other preferences, click Next and click Install Now.

4. Please input the product key when we are prompted.

5. After reading the license terms, check the box beside "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

6. Please click the box "Custom (Advanced)" to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista.

7. Choose a partition to install the system, then click Next.

8. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.

For more information:

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

In-place Upgrade Installation

===============================

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem. I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:03 AM