Skype for Business client vs SFB basic download RRS feed

• Question

• So, if I download SFB through our O365, SFB will be pointing to Microsft servers right? Does SFB basic download  also points to their server? Or does it point to the local one? Thanks.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi

In short neither of your assumptions is correct.

The difference between the SfB client and the basic client is that the basic client does not have the complete enterprise voice functionality of the full client.

For comparison please refer to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn933896.aspx 

The clients will point to whatever service is discovers automatically by DNS based on your SIP address. The client will use the following methods in order (if you are external):

1. Autodiscovery using FQDN lyncdiscover.<yoursipdomain>.com to find the access edge service
    2. SRV DNS record lookup for _sip._tls.<yoursipdomain>.com
    3. DNS lookup for sip.domain.com

Internal is slightly different

1. Autodiscovery using FQDN lyncdiscoverinternal.<yoursipdomain>.com to find the access edge service
    2. SRV DNS record lookup for _sipinternaltls._tcp.<yoursipdomain>.com
    3. DNS lookup for sip.<yoursipdomain>.com
    4. DNS lookup for sipinternal.<yoursipdomain>.com

The client is just a client. Where you download it from doesn't matter in terms of what service you connect to. All that this does is govern the version type and the update cycle.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi

In short neither of your assumptions is correct.

The difference between the SfB client and the basic client is that the basic client does not have the complete enterprise voice functionality of the full client.

For comparison please refer to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn933896.aspx 

The clients will point to whatever service is discovers automatically by DNS based on your SIP address. The client will use the following methods in order (if you are external):

1. Autodiscovery using FQDN lyncdiscover.<yoursipdomain>.com to find the access edge service
    2. SRV DNS record lookup for _sip._tls.<yoursipdomain>.com
    3. DNS lookup for sip.domain.com

Internal is slightly different

1. Autodiscovery using FQDN lyncdiscoverinternal.<yoursipdomain>.com to find the access edge service
    2. SRV DNS record lookup for _sipinternaltls._tcp.<yoursipdomain>.com
    3. DNS lookup for sip.<yoursipdomain>.com
    4. DNS lookup for sipinternal.<yoursipdomain>.com

The client is just a client. Where you download it from doesn't matter in terms of what service you connect to. All that this does is govern the version type and the update cycle.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Anyway, here is my scenario. We got 10 users on Office 365. We are trying to get them in the domain and switch them to Exchange on-premise. We already did that. However, we need to use SfB temporarily for about a month just they have an app to use before we switch them again to what we are using. My question is can I just download the SfB Basic for all users and cut off subscription with Office 365? They're not tied-up right? Thanks!
    Friday, September 30, 2016 2:32 PM