none
Set up a small branch office RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear all,

Our company may setup a new branch (with <5 users) in a city of an ASEAN country. I'm going to prepare a setup checklist for IT.

Windows Server for file sharing
    Windows Client CAL
    MS office License (Pro)
    MS office License (Std)
    Notebook PC
    Desktop PC with Monitor
    firewall/router for VPN connect to Head office
    Server Rack
    Backup device
    Printer
    Accessories: Backup Tape / Printer cartridge
    UPS
    Video Conference System
    Network switch
    Cabling
    Fire extinguisher

Internet connection

Email hosting service

Any items you think should be put into the checklist for requirement gathering...

Regards,

TC

• Changed type Kevin Remde Monday, May 31, 2010 12:23 PM This is more of a discussion and a request for further suggestions.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:43 AM

All replies

• GREAT QUESTION.  This looks like a pretty good list.  Much of what you'll need to consider will be based on the sorts of technology you already have in place to support the branch office.

Also, many of your decisions will depend upon how much local control or local IT expertese you'll have at the branch location.  (Exampe: Do I backup files to a local server, disk or tape system, or do I back them up to the corporate office?  Or both?) 

E-mail Architecture or Solution: If you're already using hosted e-mail for your other offices, then adding new mail accounts should be easy.

File Services and Backup: If you have any kind of distributed or dynamic file system in place at your corporate office, then you should consider adding this branch to that for syncronizing files.  If you're already running Windows Server 2008 R2 servers and Windows 7 on the clients, you should also look into the new BranchCache capabilities.  (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/dd425028.aspx)  For backup you could also consider System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM), which could allow you to backup not only the branch office file server, but also the contents of the client systems.  (http://www.microsoft.com/dpm

Video Conferencing: Naturally I'm going to recommend Office Communications Server (http://www.microsoft.com/ocs), for easy conferencing, telephony, IM, and presence.  But this is something to consider for your entire organization - not just for the sake of one small branch office. 

I'm interested to see what other thoughts you folks have.

-Kevin

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your suggestion. The branch office should have not IT expert, very likely I have to do remote support. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm interest on what other people think about the setting. 
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:52 PM
  • I would throw in a second HOT spare server and a few spare hard drives.
    When a server dies or hard drive die you will be glad you have a HOT second server in place along with spare hard drives.

Aside from that it sounds like you are right on target....;)

Chris Ondo

CFCEcorp.com

My Tech Blog

• Edited by Chris Ondo Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:24 PM typo my mistake
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion! let me think about it.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

Here I would suggest to have local IT service provider contact information for emergency calls which can’t  handled by remotely.

Also think for a small generator, because power down is most common scenario. In your case you have listed a UPS but strength of the UPS and the power cut down issue at that location is most important.

Kind Regards,

Santosh A. Jadhav
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with Santosh. Find a loal IT person, even if it's not at an expert level. You may need him/her for situations like blown power supplies and other hardware failures.

Also, having a modem with a dial up connection as a backdoor remote access solution can also save you a lot of time and work. The modem can give you landline access to your server in case the Internet connection has a problem. Also a a smart PDU is a good piece of hardware to have since you can remotely turn on and off routers, switches and other hardware items that can lock up and require cold starts.

Miguel

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS
    Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
    Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:45 PM