Help Explorer.exe keeps restarting RRS feed

• Question

• explorer.exe keeps restarting.
    I tried to do a system restore but it does not let me.
    it asks for me to do a chkdsk but when i do it just stops and says it cannot continue, what can I do without loosig all my data
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your current situation, please perform the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer in normal mode and test the issue.

Run the system file checker.

1) Close all the open windows.

2) Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3) Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

4) In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

5) Type Y and click Enter again.

6) Restart the computer.

Meanwhile, if you don’t think that it is troublesome to format the computer and rebuild the system, I suggest repairing Windows Vista should be a best way to resolve such a problem. However, before doing that, we might also try the following instructions to run the System File Checker, which might help to recover the corruption of the systems files.

1) Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2) In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3) After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:02 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:59 AM