none
Folder Redirection fails user at remote site, usually

Question

• 2008 Servers with folder redirection in group policy, drive maps in group policy, profile hard-coded in AD user record.  Windows 7 clients.

We have a main site with 10GB MPLS, 1 remot site with T1 MPLS, 1 remote site with 2 bound(?) T1's.  Domain controller at each site.  The issue is:  a user with redirect folders on main site server visits a remote site (the one with single T1), tries to logon.  Profile loads successfully, the gp-mapped drives are good; but the folder redirections get error "'path' refers to a location that is unavailable.  It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network.  Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or tht you are connected..."  Event ID is 502, Folder Redirection - "failed to apply policy and redirect folder... Access is denied"  And those folders that should have been redirected remain inaccessible - can't browse to them.  You can map them, but can't access contents of the mapped drive.  This same user redirects these same folders successfully at the main site, and tests aren't getting errors at the other remote site.  It doesn't eem to pick on certain pc's, occasionallly someone signs on without errors.  It doesn't error the other way.  User with remote site folders logs on at main site, no problem.  Any ideas?     

Mike Murphy

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• > path' refers to a location that is unavailable.

Basic troubleshooting: nslookup, ping, net view - all ok?

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Hi Mike,

>>Event ID is 502, Folder Redirection - "failed to apply policy and redirect folder... Access is denied"

Based on the description, please make sure that the computer accounts in the remote sites have access to the shared folder where the redirected folders are stored. You can try to explicitly assign access permissions of the share folder to the computer accounts to see if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Please apply the below hotfix and see if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2610379?wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:02 AM
  • NSLOOKUP and PING succeed.  It isn't the server.  The account loggin on at the remote branch computer successfully maps drives using group policy drive maps; finds its network profile using the hard-coded profile path; and the profile and most of the successfully mapped drives are on the same server as the redirected folders that return these access errors.  And now, at 5:30 p.m. when everyone at that remote office has gone home I've just successfully logged on at that workstation, with the same test account, that has been getting the errors all week.  I don't remember that I have tried it after hours before.  Could latency be causing this?  Causing only redirection to fail, while drives map and applications run? 

Mike Murphy

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:33 PM
  • In effective Permissions I don't see that any computer account has access to the folder.  There's a HOME share (for instance) with Authenticated Users as co-owners for permissions; then Inheritance is blocked and the user account has access to its own NAME folder and subfolders.  I just now tried another test.  This time my test account successfully redirected at the same remote branch workstation where it has been consistently failing.  Now it's 5:30 pm everyone there has gone home.  That makes me suspect latency, but why redirection fails while drive mapping 9to the same server) works?  But I'll try assigning some permissions to computer accounts. 

Mike Murphy

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Did you check the link I gave you? Yes, if there is a latency issue, you would see this error. Please check the link, apply the hotfix and see if it helps.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Saturday, February 7, 2015 8:39 AM
  • I  have tried the link it gets me to the page and tht looks very hopeful as the answer to this problem.  But when I press the Download Hotfix button it tells me "the page you requested is not available".  So I'm hunting around  trying to find that hotfix.

Mike Murphy

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:09 PM
  • I find the hotfix 2610379  in a  hotfix rollup, 2775511.  I see it is for Windows 7 sp1 and Server 2008 R2.  My two remote branch servers, where reside the Windows 7 SP1 workstations where the error occurs, have Server 2008 R2 domain controllers.  But the redirected folders, for Home, Desktop, and Application data that get set as Access Denied, reside on 2008 SP2 servers (which are domain controllers), not 2008 R2.  I'll plan to put the hotfix rollups on the 2008 R2 servers and the Windows 7 workstations and see if that helps.     

Mike Murphy

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:33 PM
  • I'm putting the hotifx rollup on servers and workstations, the one directly affected first.  But it is going to take some time to decide whether it has fixed.  The circumstances are intermittent (when someone from here goes there and tries to login), the occurrence is intermittent (sometimes the problem happens, sometiems it doesn't), and probably the reporting is also intermittent (the person gets what they need without successful login and doesn't tell me about it).  But it doesn match the symptoms and the error message, so I'm hopeful.

Mike Murphy

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Any update on the issue? Did the above solution work for you?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

We've not heard from you yet. I assume the information provided by Umesh.S.K has helped. I am marking the reply as answered now. In case the information did not help, please feel free to unmark the answer and come back to us with your comments.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:27 AM