none
Can a Column in a Project Plan be set to Read Only for everyone except Admins RRS feed

• Question

• At my company the Project Server Admins create the initial project plans.  We want to add a new column that will designate each task in the plan as Capital or Operational.  We do not want anyone to have the ability to change these.

When the Project Managers need additional tasks on their plans they will need to copy an existing one in order to have this piece of information pre-populated on their new tasks, since we do not want them deciding what the task should be themselves and populating the field as they create tasks.

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:34 PM

Answers

• dennykat --

It is possible to designate columns as Read-Only in views shown in the Tasks page and the Timesheet page in PWA, but it is not possible make columns Read-Only anywhere else in PWA, or in the enterprise project when opened in Microsoft Project Professional.  Because of this, I strongly recommend that you make this a training and performance issue with your PMs.  Teach them about this column, and stress that they must not change the values in this column, and then hold them accountable for this behavior.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by dennykat Friday, September 12, 2014 7:29 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 6:43 PM

All replies

• dennykat --

It is possible to designate columns as Read-Only in views shown in the Tasks page and the Timesheet page in PWA, but it is not possible make columns Read-Only anywhere else in PWA, or in the enterprise project when opened in Microsoft Project Professional.  Because of this, I strongly recommend that you make this a training and performance issue with your PMs.  Teach them about this column, and stress that they must not change the values in this column, and then hold them accountable for this behavior.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by dennykat Friday, September 12, 2014 7:29 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 6:43 PM
  • In addition to Dale's excellent answer, I'd mention that it is possible to make a column "read-only" for certain security groups in MS Project Pro with VBA code. 

That being said, I'd suggest to follow Dale's advice using a "soft" solution.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:19 PM
  • Thank you Dale

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Read only in Project Pro only, or also in PWA?
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:30 PM
  • In MS Project Pro for sure, but I never tried in PWA, don't think it is easily doable..

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Thank you
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:49 PM