locked
Client not removing software RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am in the process of testing App-V integreation with SCCM 2007 R2 and have been able to sequence and deploy Office 2010 and it works great.  The problem is that it never removes itself from the client when all the advertisments for it have been deleted.  It continues to reside in the clients App-V Cache and works on the machine.  

    I have the "remove this package from clients when it is no longer advertised" box checked on the package... and as I understand it... that is about all that is required.

    Thanks for your help :)

    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:19 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    Well - thats not exactly how it works.

    App-v has a cache-file, but the application is registered - so some registry-keys should probably appear. Considering that the SCCM-client handles the shortcut-place that is involved in some parts....

    Considering that you deleted the advertisement - well, nothing good ever came out of that....
    Usually I just disable the first before doing anything to hasty... Since you deleted the advertisement there are references left on the client - but not in the database...  Reporting of where it has been executed would be more complex. 

    Can't you just re-advertise, re-execute (manually / forced?) and see if that gets you to a starting point?
    (needs to brush up his knowledge..)


    I however read this information;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161842.aspx

    It basically says that your test should work - but I am just seeing loads of control over the entire process lost (in contradiction to the article).

    Then again, perhaps you just didn't wait long enough for it to evaluate the change of advertisements for the computer...

    /Znack
    • Marked as answer by BigPappaJ Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:44 PM

All replies

  • He

    Are the shortcuts removed?

    /Znack

    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Nope, I can still go to programs --> office 2010 --> and all the shortcuts are still hanging out.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

    Not certain on this one, but you could try to disable the advertisement (instead of deleting) or having it expired...

    /Znack
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Ill try flushing the client cache and then re-advertising and disabling it... see what happens.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

    One option could be to remove the client from the collection...

    /Znack

    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Yes... I just hadn't tried all the options as what I did try should have worked and was just wondering if I was doing something obviously wrong.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hello,

    Well - if you delete the advertisement it would probably not be the same thing as a client beeing out of scope of it...

    /Znack
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:23 PM
  • What part of the cache do I delete in order for the current deployment to dissapear??  I am deleting what I can out of c:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents\softgrid client... is this correct?  Is there somewhere else I should be doing it as well.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:23 PM
  • That is correct... but functionally they should do exactly the same thing.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hello,

    Well - thats not exactly how it works.

    App-v has a cache-file, but the application is registered - so some registry-keys should probably appear. Considering that the SCCM-client handles the shortcut-place that is involved in some parts....

    Considering that you deleted the advertisement - well, nothing good ever came out of that....
    Usually I just disable the first before doing anything to hasty... Since you deleted the advertisement there are references left on the client - but not in the database...  Reporting of where it has been executed would be more complex. 

    Can't you just re-advertise, re-execute (manually / forced?) and see if that gets you to a starting point?
    (needs to brush up his knowledge..)


    I however read this information;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161842.aspx

    It basically says that your test should work - but I am just seeing loads of control over the entire process lost (in contradiction to the article).

    Then again, perhaps you just didn't wait long enough for it to evaluate the change of advertisements for the computer...

    /Znack
    • Marked as answer by BigPappaJ Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:44 PM
  • I will check into this... take a look at that article... And I waited for a day, restarted several times, and reaaplied SCCM computer and user policies so I know its not working... I will try just disabling the advertisement and see what happens.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:03 PM
  • I re-applied an advertisement and then disabled it...  This took away the shortcut icons.  Thanks for the help :)
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:17 PM
  • I would highly recommend looking at the virtualapp.log in the CCM logs directory.  This will typically tell you why you are having problems with publishing, etc..

    In terms of how to remove the two suggested paths by Microsoft are deleting the advertisement or removing the object from the collection.  THere are quite a few things that could be causing your problems.  Disabling is fine as well, but teh delete should give the results you are looking for.

    Looks like you got it running but I would check out the log and find out why the delete didn't work.

    mattmcdermott

    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:02 PM
    Moderator