Remove IE icon from desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if this is the right area or even the right site for this question. I have Vista 32bit all latest updates and packs. I had an IE8 issue so I uninstalled it. This gave me IE7 and put an icon on the desktop for IE. This is not a shortcut, this is an actual app I guess. On my desktop. I am not sure why anyone ever thought that was a goog idea. So I reinstalled IE8. This icon is still on my desktop. How do I get rid of it? I have no icons on my desktop and I want to keep it that way.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur when a malware in the website modified the registry. To remove it, we need delete the registry key.

To find the corresponding key, you need to perform the following steps:

Type "regedit" in start menu and right click on regedit.exe and choose "Run as administrator" to open it.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

, right click NameSpace, select export and save it to desktop or anywhere elso as backup since modifying registry mistakenly may result in a faulty system.

Expend namespce in the left panel, under this key you will find several regitry value in {}, delete one by one. Remember the name of the key deleted, after each one, save the settings and refresh the windows explorer to check if the shortcut icon disappeared. If so, the one you deleted is the corresponding one we are looking for.

Please note that the following two keys should not be deleted:

{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

After finding the key, right click on the REG file you saved as backup to restore the registry key, and delete the corrupt one we find.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• What happens if you try to delete it?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Friday, March 25, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may occur when a malware in the website modified the registry. To remove it, we need delete the registry key.

To find the corresponding key, you need to perform the following steps:

Type "regedit" in start menu and right click on regedit.exe and choose "Run as administrator" to open it.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

, right click NameSpace, select export and save it to desktop or anywhere elso as backup since modifying registry mistakenly may result in a faulty system.

Expend namespce in the left panel, under this key you will find several regitry value in {}, delete one by one. Remember the name of the key deleted, after each one, save the settings and refresh the windows explorer to check if the shortcut icon disappeared. If so, the one you deleted is the corresponding one we are looking for.

Please note that the following two keys should not be deleted:

{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

After finding the key, right click on the REG file you saved as backup to restore the registry key, and delete the corrupt one we find.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:07 AM