Export/Import WSUS Update Views RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone ever figured-out how to export/import updates views from WSUS?

I have a single WSUS server on Windows Server 2012 R2 and I want to export the custom update views I have configured on that server to WSUS on my newly-updated Windows 10 laptop.  I had the same situation when I updated to Windows 8.1.  I've tried copying the file (wsus) from the MMC folder from the user profile on the server—that doesn't work.

Thanks!

• Edited by Evin.Kaless Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:24 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:23 PM

Answers

• Okay, so I'm going to answer my own question, or maybe more accurately, correct myself . . .

I was able to successfully use the MMC file from my Windows 8.1 laptop on Windows 10.  The MMC file from the Windows Server 2012 R2 did not work on Windows 10. So copying the MMC file does indeed work . . . sometimes.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, September 21, 2015 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:02 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:40 PM

All replies

• Okay, so I'm going to answer my own question, or maybe more accurately, correct myself . . .

I was able to successfully use the MMC file from my Windows 8.1 laptop on Windows 10.  The MMC file from the Windows Server 2012 R2 did not work on Windows 10. So copying the MMC file does indeed work . . . sometimes.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, September 21, 2015 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:02 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

>>So copying the MMC file does indeed work . . . sometimes.

I didn't find any official document about how to export or import these custom views.

I have tried to delete the mmc file and then found that my custom views in WSUS console are lost. It makes me believe that the custom views are stored in the local mmc file.

Besides, because this file is stored in the personal folder, the others also can't see your views.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 21, 2015 6:32 AM