HyperV server 2008 R2 - enabling/managing clustering RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot do Failover cluster using Windows Server 2008 r2 Standard Edition. No Failover cluster roles is available on Standard Edition Operating system. You need to use either enterprise or datacenter edition.

Pls refer to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-compare-specs.aspx

laiys

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, April 12, 2010 6:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

In some case , we can say that Windows Server 2008 Standard edition don’t have the component/snapin for Cluster, so you can’t manage a remote cluster. With Windows 7, you can install the Remote Server Administration Tools and then use the Cluster Manage tool in it to manage the remote cluster.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot do Failover cluster using Windows Server 2008 r2 Standard Edition. No Failover cluster roles is available on Standard Edition Operating system. You need to use either enterprise or datacenter edition.

Pls refer to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-compare-specs.aspx

laiys

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Thanks for the link.  Here is the scenario.  

I have 1 HyperV Server 2008 R2 - i.e. 'freeware' HyperV running some 2003 VM's.   I want to add another identical HyperV Server 2008 R2 box and do host clustering of the two boxes. I understand to do that they both have to be joined to a domain running on a third box. So what you are saying is that the third box has to have 2008 Enterprises Server running on it installed as a DC if I want to host cluster the two HyperV boxes? So when the description of HyperV Server says that it can do clustering it only can do it if I have a DC that's running 2008 Enterprise?  So in fact HyperV is 'free' but clustering with it isn't?  I need to know for certain that Standard Server 2008 R2 could not be used to manage/enable the clustering of HyperV servers - I already know it can't be used for clustering by itself but the other post I referenced in my opening thread seemed to indicate that Standard 2008 could be used to manage HyperV Server clustering.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

In Hyper V R2 (free) , you can use to setup failover cluster. Microsoft has added this features in R2. In Free Hyper V R2 , all the features is free except Guest VM.

For DC, you can use Standard Edition.

Not necessary to run DC in Ent edition. To manage, you can download RSAT for Windows 7. For more info, pls refer to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en

and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958830/en-us

laiys
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for this. Just to clarify I don't need the Windows 7 RSAT to manage - my standard 2008 R2 DC could do everything that Windows 7 could do?
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

If your DC is running Standard edition, you do not have Failover Cluster snap in. So you can't manage Failover Cluster Hyper V. But you still can use Hyper V snap in to manage Hyper V host .

laiys
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:18 AM
  • This is a bit confusing. Are you saying I can manage fail over clustering with Windows 7 and not with Server 2008 R2 standard?
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:56 AM
  • This is a bit confusing. Are you saying I can manage fail over clustering with Windows 7 and not with Server 2008 R2 standard?
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

In some case , we can say that Windows Server 2008 Standard edition don’t have the component/snapin for Cluster, so you can’t manage a remote cluster. With Windows 7, you can install the Remote Server Administration Tools and then use the Cluster Manage tool in it to manage the remote cluster.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:45 AM