none
Hyper-V Replication & iSCSI connected disk (Quickstation 4 for Backup) - integration services RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

is there a way to have a Hyper-V Replication setup where a VM has a direct connected iSCSI disk (Quickstation 4), while VSS and other integration services still work? currently we want to ignore the iSCSI disk for the replica, so we can have backups to Quickstation and still replicate the disk to another server, but unfortunatly when we try to start the Hyper-VM replication it says that there is a direct connected iSCSI disk

is there a solution around that?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:26 AM

All replies

• How do you mean directly connected iSCSI disk? As a pass-through disk? I'm guessing you are not connecting to iSCSI inside your guest VM? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

It's not very clear what you want to ask.

All the options you can change during Hyper-V replication are listed in the link below.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/04/07/step-by-step-virtual-machine-replication-using-hyper-v-replica/

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Currently the iSCSI disk is mounted inside the VM. as said it's a RDX Quickstation which will do additional file backups inside the vm.

we basically want to use replication to have a more available setup, however the servers are close to each other so we want to have another offline backup.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:25 AM
  • I think you have a bigger issue.  Looking at windowsservercatalog.com, the location listing all supported hardware for Windows Server, it looks like the Quickstation is not listed as a supported device.  I was thinking there might be an easier way to accomplish your end goal of higher availability, but if the storage is not supported, it limits your options.

tim

Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:50 PM
  • No. Hyper-V cannot replicate resources that it does not control.

You could use an in-guest replication technology as an alternative. Worst case, robocopy in a scheduled task.

If Hyper-V Replica is a requirement then your only option is to re-architect so that the host maintains the iSCSI connection and presents a VHDX to the VM.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:54 PM
  • HYPER-V SHOULD NOT replicate the quickstation.

Hyper-V 1  <-> Hyper-V 2

Vm     <-> Vm

Quickstation will be active on the current "active" vm.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:41 PM
  • I agree with Eric. we cannot do much during the replica process.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:29 AM