Site Role Prerequisites for ConfigMgr 2012 R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• According to the following TechNet article that I base most my deployments of ConfigMgr 2012 R2 off of the following prerequisites don't seem to be listed.  However as I read blogs and talk to several other consultants I see that they add some of the following server features and roles that are not listed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_Win2k12SiteSystemPrereqs

For the IIS Role the following settings are not listed for your basic ConfigMgr Site Server deployments:

Security
    Basic Authentication
    URL Authorization
    IP and Domain Restrictions

Performance
    Dynamic Content Compression

Management Tools
    IIS 6 Management Console
    IIS 6 Scripting Tools

I have also seen people say that Compact Server under BITS needs to be installed as well. 

However, none of these features are listed in any Microsoft documentation.  Can someone verify that I am not missing anything when I am talking to a client about these features and roles that are needed?  If so, can someone explain to me if possible why some of these features may be added that may help with performance or any other reason?  At this point I will not include any of these settings until I can confirm they are needed or will help.

Kristopher Turner | Not the brightest bulb but by far not the dimmest bulb.

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:53 AM

Answers

• The only roles/features that are required are those that are listed in the article and those that are required (automatically selected) by those roles/features.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:05 AM
  • I never install anything that is not listed in the documentations, and so far it's been working for me :-)

But if you install all roles on the same server there might be some true to some of it. Let me give you an example:

The Software Update Point, does not require "Dynamic Content Compression", but it requires WSUS.
    And WSUS requires "Dynamic Content Compression", so it all depends on how you see it...

I would state that the TechNet documentation is correct... :-)

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:04 AM

All replies

• The only roles/features that are required are those that are listed in the article and those that are required (automatically selected) by those roles/features.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:05 AM
  • I never install anything that is not listed in the documentations, and so far it's been working for me :-)

But if you install all roles on the same server there might be some true to some of it. Let me give you an example:

The Software Update Point, does not require "Dynamic Content Compression", but it requires WSUS.
    And WSUS requires "Dynamic Content Compression", so it all depends on how you see it...

I would state that the TechNet documentation is correct... :-)

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:04 AM