none
MDT Config UEFI Specific disk and partition? RRS feed

• Question

• Installing Win8.1 with MDT2013 on UEFI enabled machines everything seems to be ok.. Until... Injecting drivers. The deployment cannot proceed because of destination disk. Sounds obvious because Uefi makes multiple partitions unlike non-uefi that can be installed on the first partition.

I've created an extra step to the "Format and partition disk" and named it "Format and Partition Disk - UEFI". In this step I've set an option "Task sequence variable IsUEFI equals True". So when it is "True" the step will format the drive in GPT (as is required for UEFI boot). This seems to work good. I see in the installation the step "Format and Partition Disk - UEFI" when it's a uefi machine, and the original step if it is a non uefi machine. Obviously the original step will have also an option "Task sequence variable IsUEFI equals False".

The problem comes when we get to the step "Install Operating System". Here I made the same change like I did above. (added extra step with extra option:

The original step "Install Operating System" will have install location: "Specific disk and partition" Disk 0 Partition 1.
    The added step will have install location "Specific disk and partition" Disk 0 Partition 3. (Because UEFI has multiple partitions)

For some reason the deployment will accept the step "Format and Partition Disk - UEFI" but in the install step it will take the "Install Operating System - Legacy" (so it will try to install to disk 0 partition 1 as I see in BCD log). Is there any reason that the same condition  works at the format step and not at the install step?

We choose the option install to "Specific disk and partition" because of problem when have the location set at "logical drive letter stored in a variable" (problem described: link)

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:45 AM

All replies

• Solution in my case was going for the "logical drive letter stored in a variable" instead of "Specific disk and partition".

Note when applying this: must keep using "OSDisk" variable or it will throw errors (problem described in this link)

So I deleted the "UEFI" steps, and renamed the "Install Operating System - Legacy" to before. Removed the query for the IsUEFI variable. MDT will automatic install to MBR or GPT based on device.

• Proposed as answer by Jeff Seb Friday, January 10, 2014 10:00 AM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Thank you, I was looking for this explanation.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:06 AM