IE 9 RC crashes at CNN.com RRS feed

• Question

• After installin IE 9RC, I can't browse the CNN.com site.  The page opens, and then almost right away a meesage pops up saying that it ( IE) needs to close.  A second message appears at the bottom of the screen saying that it "is a problem with the web page"  I have no problem opening CNN's site with FF 4.0b.11 and I had no issues with CNN's site with IE 9 Beta.

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:46 PM

Answers

• Please follow to the letter all the directions in this thread: How to get rid of malware
        1a. You may have to use a non-infected computer for any downloads specified below, until your malware is removed. Use a USB Pen drive or burn to CD or other means to carry the necessary utilities to the infected computer and copy to the Desktop.
        1b. Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool download here off-line.

You may also be eligible for telephone support if your issue causes your computer to crash or if Internet Explorer RC does not let you browse all sites.
    To learn more about your support options, please contact Microsoft at the following telephone number: (800) 642-7676

Cheers,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:29 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:11 AM

All replies

• After installin IE 9RC, I can't browse the CNN.com site. 

What symptom do you get if you run it in No Add-ons mode?
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Same problem.  I also tried just about everything else, short of removing IE 9 RC and reinstalling IE 9 BETA.  Once 9 BETA was re-installed I had no problems with CNN's site??
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:02 AM
  • See and follow (Applies also to IE9 RC):
    "You cannot view, access, or load some webpages in Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9 Beta".

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:56 AM
  • I will give that a look, but just to be clear.   I never had issues viewing any web-pages with IE 8 or IE 9 Beta.  ONLY IE 9 RC.

But Thank You and I'll post back if it helps.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:34 AM
  • OK.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Hi,
    I tried the Mr Fixit and it reportedly "fixed" a DEP issue by turning DEP on.
    However this did not fix the problem.

I un-installed IE 9 and installed IE 8 and was able to browse with out any problems.  I re-intalled IE 9 RC and while I can now go to CNN.com and have the original problem at EspnF1.com??

I verified that DEP was turned on for all programs and it was, I then switched DEP to Essential Windows services and tried that....again same problem @ EspnF1

I did see another error pop up and it was Visual C++ runtime (internet explorer)

I downloaded and installed vcredist_x86 rebooted and tried again,  EspnF1 still closes.

I should mention that I have NO issues at all with Firefox 4.0b.11 and it's still a beta!!

Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Please follow to the letter all the directions in this thread: How to get rid of malware
        1a. You may have to use a non-infected computer for any downloads specified below, until your malware is removed. Use a USB Pen drive or burn to CD or other means to carry the necessary utilities to the infected computer and copy to the Desktop.
        1b. Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool download here off-line.

You may also be eligible for telephone support if your issue causes your computer to crash or if Internet Explorer RC does not let you browse all sites.
    To learn more about your support options, please contact Microsoft at the following telephone number: (800) 642-7676

Cheers,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:29 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:11 AM
  • I'm having a similiar problem on one machine.   Since installing IE9 (RTM) I can't load cnn.com.

I have gone through looking for malware.  Negative.  (I can't really guess what malware would only block CNN?  A Fox News Trojan?)

I've gone through the steps in "You cannot view, access, or load some webpages in Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9 Beta".

The problem persists in no add-ons mode.  No difference in Compatibility or normal mode.

It's only this one website, cnn.com, at least  so far.  Cnn.com will load briefly and then display a blank white page.  And cnn.com still didsplays normally on the same machine in Firefox.  It also displayed normally with IE8.

The problem happens with:

Gateway NV59C laptop; Win 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1; MS Security Esentials; Ad-Muncher; SuperAntiSpyware;

I also have a desktop machine on the same network running Win 7 Pro (x64) SP1 and an otherwise a similar configuation.  Cnn.com displays fine on IE9 there.

I've tried everything I can thihnk of and would welcome any other ideas what I might try to find and fix this problem...besides reverting to IE8 or just using Firefox for CNN.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:17 PM
  • >>It's only this one website, cnn.com, at least  so far.  Cnn.com will load briefly and then display a blank white page.  And cnn.com still didsplays normally on the same machine in Firefox.  It also displayed normally with IE8.<<

I am having the identical problem here.  The CNN home page loads briefly and then switches to a blank white page. Problem only happens on the CNN home page and only using IE9.

Loads fine with Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE8.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1. Intel Core i7 CPU.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:06 PM
  • I had this problem and all I did was reinstall IE 9 and it was fixed

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:28 PM
  • How did you accomplish the re-install?  When I try to run the same installer I used on 3/14 it says it can't complete because a later version of IE9 is already installed.

Richard34212....We have in common using Win 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1 and seeing the problem.  On my Win 7 Pro (x64) SP1 machine cnn.com loads fine.   I wonder if this is some how related to Home Premium.

edit:  I uninstalled IE9, IE8 once again worked fine.  I re-installed IE9 and the problem is back.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:33 PM
  • I had originaly had issues with Espn/F1 and cnn. The cnn issue did not last long and the Espn/F1 issue seems to be resolved as of the Final Release of IE9.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:34 PM
  • I'm using the RTM version, 9.0.8112.16421 and the problem persists.

edit:  A little additional info.  I can access cnn.com on the laptop in question in Safe Mode.  Yet I'm in normal mode and I end all but the most essential processes I still can open cnn.com.

Still wondering if this is a Win 7 Home Premium issue.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Update:  The problem has gone away.  I don't know if recent MS patches did the trick, or if CNN changed their web site, or....?

In anyevent, this is no longer an issue here.

• Proposed as answer by oldguy23 Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:00 PM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:59 PM
  • This appears to manifest on Windows 7 x64 systems.  I have the same issue on mail.yahoo.com, seekingalpha.com and now youtube as well.  That said, taking an hour to uninstall/reboot/reinstall/repatch/reboot again and pray it works should not be the answer to every Microsoft problem. 

Funny thing is, other browsers, including IE8, just work and don't crash continuously. 

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:50 PM
  • I am frequently seeing my browser crash on CNN.  Sometimes on other sites although I don't think to write it down.  I was just browsing this URL and got the crash:  http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/07/11/linkedin.myspace/index.html?iref=NS1

Running IE9 (9.0.8112.16421) Windows 7 x64

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:54 PM