Updates or Drivers First? RRS feed

• Question

• Dell Inspiron e1505, Windows XP Home Edition.  I recently did a total refresh using the Windows CD that came with my computer (SP 1a).  Now I need to do an update to SP3 and load the drivers.  I have all of the drivers from Dell and know they need to be loaded in a specific order, but I am unsure whether to load the drivers first or to update to Windows SP3 first.  Please advise.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• Better to get your drivers from support.dell.com . Specify your service tag and they will present you a list of drivers for your system and operating system.
    • Marked as answer by mysticskier Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:57 PM

All replies

• You should install SP3 first.

Then if you want you can do the rest of the software updates. Windows updates will also find some of your drivers, but it is safer to install the drivers you already have.

Then if you have driver issues or cannot find all the drivers you can try driver robot.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Computer Manual. The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding!
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Re:  Your last sentance.  I assume you are talking about Driver Robot ($40) from Blitware Technologies.  There are a lot of bad reviews on this software, do you think it will help my situation?  Is there an (almost) freeware equivilant?
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Better to get your drivers from support.dell.com . Specify your service tag and they will present you a list of drivers for your system and operating system.
    • Marked as answer by mysticskier Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:57 PM