none
Duplicate emails RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

I have an issue with Duplicate emails being sent.
    A user may send an email, logout (soon after, or some time later), and upon their next login a duplicate email is sent.

Im looking for help in troubleshooting this issue.

My environment:

Windows Server 2012 R2, up to date
    Exchange 2013, latest CU
    4 regional DAGs
    Outlook 2016 client, up to date

Thanks in advance.

K

Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:32 PM

All replies

• I would start by examining the message headers of such a message and its duplicate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, April 12, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Ed:

Will do, but i dont expect to find anything this being an internal email.  But i will let you know.

Thanks!

K

Friday, April 12, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Is the first email successfully before logout? If no, the issue might happen because your Send/Receive interval is set to a very short period. In this situation, your message takes a while to upload to the mail server, so it could be that the next send/receive interval already started before the previous one completes.

This will then cause a backlog of Send/Receive tasks which still need to be completed. You can change Send/Receive internal and check the result. For more information, please refer to Outlook is sending multiple copies of an email.

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Dawn:

Thanks much.  I've looked into that based off previous searches but will check that again.

K

Friday, April 12, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Ed:

I've looked at the headers of both duplicates from the receiving party, the headers are the same with the obvious exceptions  of messageID and other unique identifiers.  The emails followes the same path, just at different times.  Nothing seeminginly out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Friday, April 12, 2019 6:10 PM
  • Two message IDs would tell me that the messages are being submitted twice.  If it's just one user who's seeing this, then I'd thoroughly examine the configuration of the client.  Assuming it's Outlook, I'd look for any add-ins, rules or unusual profile services or settings.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, April 12, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Ed:

Thats what i've been seeing, two unique message IDs any time this happens.

Its not just one user but random users across our organization.  And the majority users havent experienced it at all.  

Yes we're running outlook 2016.

Thanks,

K

Friday, April 12, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Hi K,

Does the issue occur when users send emails in OWA? If not, it seems a client-related issue. I recommend you to check the Outlook configurations first.

1. If you are using Anti-Virus programs or add-ins, please disable them temporarily and run Outlook in Safe Mode.

Run -> Type “outlook.exe /safe” in the blank box -> OK.

2. Change Send/Receive interval. Under Send/Receive tab, click Send/Receive Groups -> Define Send/Receive Groups. Change the value for "Schedule an automatic send/receive every".

For more information, please refer to the documentation below.

Outlook sends duplicate emails

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Dawn:

It happens randomly.  And isnt reproduceable as one might hope.  Automatic send/receive is set for 30m.  None of the emails that have exhibited this are large in size either.

Any value in checking the "...send receive on exit" option?

K

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Hi K,

If the issue occurs only when users logout and relaunch Outlook, you can check the value of "Perform an automatic send/receive when existing", because the second sending might occur before the initial message is delivered successfully. If it is selected, please untick it and see if it helps.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Thanks Dawn!

K

Friday, April 19, 2019 8:15 PM
  • You're welcome. If there is any update, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Monday, April 22, 2019 9:00 AM