User Profile Import taking too long RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I have an environment with 2.2m user profiles - the software boundary is 5m for a farm so this is well within the limit

see here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(office.12).aspx

However incremental imports are taking 20 hours and full imports 24+ and I need to get these times down

Would anyone be able to provide me with any info on:

- User Profile achitecture - process detail, specifically which servers are busy and when. I know that the application server, the DCs and SQL are involved but I'd like to know more about which servers are under load at different stages of the process - and what are the stages of the process? Please don't point me to generic Technet articles because I'm looking at these now and I can't find the info I need

- Useful perfmon counters for monitoring this process?

- any other useful tools/info re - User Profile Import Process in MOSS

- from the community - how many user profiles do you all have and how long is your import taking?

Servers are all beefy - 4 quad core 3GHz CPUs, 32GB RAM

Moderator Note (after I deleted a reply here from a new and over-keen poster): SP 2010 answers are always off-topic in these forums and will always be deleted. If you are 100% sure that a SP 2010 solution also works in a pre-SP 2010 environment, do NOT quote the SP 2010 URL but put the solution in your own non-SP 2010 words after having checked that it applies to the SharePoint product asked about in the thread.

• Edited by jonjames Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:01 AM spelling
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 10, 2011 5:38 PM Moderator Note added about SP 2010 answers being off-topic
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• One thing I've found in SharePoint on imports is there is a lot of overhead.  I've been using T-SQL for these kind of imports, transfers and deletions from a DBA standpoint.  You might try setting up a dataconnection and find the right string to this particular table in SharePoint and setup a job that runs at night when the database is least active.  
    Brandon James SharePoint Developer/Administrator
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

This seems to be a network issue.

can you confirm at the time when profile import runs no other process executes?

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:53 AM