Can Lync server replace a telephone installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

im very new to the lync stuff. So this may a basic question. 

I have read about the enterprise voip offer in the microsoft office E4 Plan. 
    They told that I can replace a installed voip infrastructure with it. 

So can I replace a complete telephone installation?

Main questions are: 

1. Does Microsoft offers me a telephone number, or must I take a local telephone provider?

2. How can customers may a call to a lync user from a normal telephone?

3. Is it possible to make a call out to a normal phone only with the lync server? (Which requirement mus I meet for this?)

What I want is following: 

We want to create a internal voip infrastructure (maybe lync is good for this)
    The lync user may allowed to make calls outside the organisation, to normal telephones. 
    Also the users must be called back from outside (customers or s.th.).

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:56 AM

Answers

• The way the Office 365 E4 plan works is that you have the required Lync licenses to do Enterprise Voice (calling out to the PSTN) in an on-premises Lync deployment.  Office 365 does not currently have Enterprise Voice (but will be coming to the US relatively soon), so you have to install Lync yourself (or get a consulting company to do it) and connect it to the phone network.

Once Lync is installed, you have several options for connecting Lync to the outside telephone network.  You can connect to a Lync-certified SIP provider, which allows you to directly access the PSTN via Lync.  If that isn't available in your area, you can purchase a PSTN gateway which converts PSTN phone signals to the format Lync understands (SIP).  

Either way, Lync can provide a fully functional VOIP phone system for your company. You won't be disappointed.

Ken Lasko | Lync MVP | UCKen.blogspot.com | LyncOptimizer.com

• Proposed as answer by Georg Thomas Monday, April 7, 2014 1:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, April 14, 2014 2:07 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:27 PM