AppV applications deployed with SCCM display "A required program will run in 5 minutes." RRS feed

• Question

• We have no AppV server - we use SCCM to manage our AppV applications. Recently we turned on SCCM integration for AppV 4.5. in SCCM - Advertised Programs Client Agent Properties "Allow virtual application advertisement".

We have notifications of new advertisements in the SCCM client agent turned on as we use this feature for updates and some SCCM applications.

For most SCCM applications we turn off client messages in the program description so the clients do not see the "A required program will run in 5 minutes." speech balloon.

We would like to be able to turn off the alerts for virtual apps as well - but since there is no Program we don't have any place to turn off the alerts.

We are getting complaints from people seeing repeated alerts.

Any suggestions on how to turn off the alerts for virtual applications? Because we DO use alerts for some upgrades and SCCM programs we can't turn them off in the Advertised Programs Client Agent Properties.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:45 AM
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Znack,

Do you know of any method to add a Max Run Time limit to a Virtual application?  They do not have a program to enable this.  Thanks.

Monday, May 3, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hello,

Default value is 24h (if I remember correctly) . i have no idea if this is imposed for virtual packages - but if you need one you probably need look into what happens inorder to not need it. It really shouldn't be necessary...

/Znack
    Monday, May 3, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Znack,

I have witnessed that when a application package doesn't suppress a reboot and allow ConfigMgr to reboot the system, any Virtual application running or that may have completed running will not report its success status in time, although the install is successful.  Therefore it becomes a Blocking Package. In the execmgr.log it states that the Virtual application could not report status because the service has shutdown.   When the system comes up, the client continues to process remaining advertisements and packages placing them in  ready state but not executing them because of the blocking package.  You don't have to have a package that doesn't suppress reboots for this scenario to come about.  An inadvertent reboot or power outage could cause this.  ConfigMgr will release a traditional application package from Blocking once it reaches it's max run time limit and move to the next package.  However, Virtual Applications remain in this state until you restart the SMS Host Agent service.

Monday, May 3, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Hello,

Isn't easier to locate which programs doesn't suppress a reboot and either make them suppress a reboot or set it to allow the program program to reboot?

Regardless of the odd behavior - I am usually extremely reluctant to allow machines reboot as a part software distribution and really try to control when that happens if necessary.

/Znack
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hello,

Default value is 24h (if I remember correctly) . i have no idea if this is imposed for virtual packages - but if you need one you probably need look into what happens inorder to not need it. It really shouldn't be necessary...

/Znack

Max Run Time is used to calculate if a program can be run within a maintainance window. I've got a program where my virtualised application won't run as it says there isn't enough time. Looking into WMI it's set to 21600 which is in seconds I believe! We will never have a window that large! Where on earth do you go to set this value for virtualised applications?
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:45 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi StephenCWLL,

What I recommend to my customers is that on the advertisement they select to "ignore maintainence windows when running program" as the deployment of a virtual application will never cause the client to reboot

Kind Regards

Rob

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:40 AM