Opening a new web site deletes an already-open site RRS feed

• Question

• I am using IE 9 on a Vista 64-bit platform.  Normally, I will have at least three sites open at one time.  However, when I open the third site, it replaces one of the two other sites that I may have minimized.  However, on a laptop I am running Windows 8.1 and using IE 10, and I do not have this problem of losing a site when a third is opened.

Is this a function of IE 9 versus IE 10?  Or, is there a setting that I can alter in IE 9 that will enable me to have threee sites open at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Houston, Texas

Monday, July 28, 2014 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please include links to any websites you are having issues with your questions... that way we can visit the sites to determine if there are any issues.

Most probably though, one of your browser addons is causing your browser to crash.

It is unclear from your question whether you are referring to your browser's Homepage settings... from memory, I think IE9 has a limit of three, only. IE9 is the highest IE version that you can install on Vista.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions". close all open IE windows for the full changes to take effect... In the case of Vista, a computer reboot may be required.

You will find the Homepage settings on the General tab of Internet Options.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by colonel biggs Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:43 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please include links to any websites you are having issues with your questions... that way we can visit the sites to determine if there are any issues.

Most probably though, one of your browser addons is causing your browser to crash.

It is unclear from your question whether you are referring to your browser's Homepage settings... from memory, I think IE9 has a limit of three, only. IE9 is the highest IE version that you can install on Vista.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions". close all open IE windows for the full changes to take effect... In the case of Vista, a computer reboot may be required.

You will find the Homepage settings on the General tab of Internet Options.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by colonel biggs Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:43 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Sir Rob --

My apologies for entering the wrong web site, which I gleaned from Google.  Sure enough, when I went to the Microsoft Community site, there was the option for Internet Explorer.  So noted.

Your suggestion solved the problem, for which you have my thanks.  Of interest, I had switched from IE to Firefox some months ago, only to discover that I enountered a similar problem there.  No one on their forum was able to address my dilemma; they kept saying that it had to do with the opeining of sites in tabs and/or windows, but no one could arrive at a correct answer.

Again, my thanks!

Gordon

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:50 AM