none
BI for Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still struggling with understanding how to do BI effectively in Project Online. I need to display a variety of different types "reports":

• "pivottable" / matrix type reports
    • Table/Detail type reports (a "standard" report that contains a table)
    • Freeform report (a report that has fields/labels in particular positions on the page. So, not a table or a matrix, but just fields  with single values positioned as desired.)
    • Combinations of the above. For example, a project detail report that has a freeform section at the top for project level data, and a table of tasks below.

All of the above are extraordinarily easy to produce with SSRS. But, SSRS is not supported via Project Online. Excel can easily produce the pivotable variety, but what about the others? (Excel can also product the table/detail type, but then it's not compatible with Excel Services).

So, how do we surface data to the user with other formats besides pivot tables and charts in Project Online?

Mike G.

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• Mike,

1) I am not sure if specfic improvements have been made to Excel Services, but depending on the structure of your report, Excel Services should be able to show just tabular data.

2) The free-form positioning of data is not possible in Excel, which is why I recommended looking into PowerView. PowerView is still kind of based on Pivot Data, but being SilverLight based, will allow you to get closer to your requirement.

I am avid user of SSRS myself, and understand what you are looking for. However, with Excel and Excel Services the options are somewhat limited in a Project Online Environment.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by m g Monday, July 15, 2013 8:05 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 8:03 PM

All replies