1 Server AD DC, 1 Server DNS/DHCP, 1 Server WDS - Server Manager/Configuration Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am building a small test environment in VMs.  I have setup each server, but the dns/dhcp and wds server cannot join the domain.  I receive the error, "The DNS name does not exist." - 0x0000232B.  Below are the details on my setup.  I would appreciate any input on getting this working.  Thank you ahead of time for reading! 

server2 - AD DC: 192.168.1.11
    server1 - DNS/DHCP: 192.168.1.10
    wds - WDS: 192.168.1.12

DHCP Client Scope: 192.168.1.20-100
    Server Options:
    Router: 192.168.1.10
    Name Servers: 192.168.1.10
    DNS Servers: 192.168.1.10
    DNS Domain Name: test.com

DNS Forward lookup zones: test.com
    server2 - a record - 192.168.1.11
    server1 - a record - 192.168.1.10
    soa - server1.
    ns - wds_serv1.
    /_tcp/_ldap - SRV - 192.168.1.11
    /_tcp/_msdcs - SRV - 192.168.1.11

DNS Reverse lookup zones: 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    soa - server1.
    ns - wds_serv1.
    192.168.1.10 - PTR - server1
    192.168.1.11 - PTR - server2

AD DS, AD Users/Computers: test.com
    Computers - server1
    Domain Controllers: server2 - GC

Anything else need configuring?
    Let me know if you need more info. and what specifically.

Thank you,
    -b
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The possible reason for the error message is that the member servers cannot locate the DNS server successfully, which requires them to locate the domain controller by SRV resource records.

Would you post the result by running "ipconfig /all" on the problematic servers (Server1 and wds)?

Which server is the first domain controller in the system? Assumed that server2 is the first domain controller, I suggest that you combine the DNS service with Active Directory service on the same server2.

In other words, please install the DNS server role on the server2, you may need  to add a forward lookup zone whose name is the domain name of the AD and then make all the servers in the system use the server2 as the local DNS server.

Use server2 as a local DNS server

We recommend that you use the local IP address of the DNS server on all client computers and member servers. To configure computer to use server as the DNS server, please follow these steps:

1. click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. If Control Panel is in Category View, click Switch to Classic View.

3. Double-click Network Connections.

4. Right-click the icon for the local area connection, and then click Properties.

5. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

6. Under Use the following DNS server addresses, type the internal IP address (192.168.1.11), and then click OK two times.

Moreover, after you make sure all the member servers are using a local DNS server, please use the full DNS domain name when you try to add the computer to the domain. Please check to verify all the servers to use the domain name as DNS domain name.

Use the DNS domain name

To determine the DNS domain name, please follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Network Identification tab, and then check the domain name that is listed.

Moreover, if you have setup third-party firewall software in the test environment in the VMs, please remove them for the purpose to successfully join domain.

If the issue still continues with the above action, please post the content of the NetSetup.log which locates in the path C:\Windows\Debug on the problematic server here for further analysis.

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by dr-boolean2 Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The possible reason for the error message is that the member servers cannot locate the DNS server successfully, which requires them to locate the domain controller by SRV resource records.

Would you post the result by running "ipconfig /all" on the problematic servers (Server1 and wds)?

Which server is the first domain controller in the system? Assumed that server2 is the first domain controller, I suggest that you combine the DNS service with Active Directory service on the same server2.

In other words, please install the DNS server role on the server2, you may need  to add a forward lookup zone whose name is the domain name of the AD and then make all the servers in the system use the server2 as the local DNS server.

Use server2 as a local DNS server

We recommend that you use the local IP address of the DNS server on all client computers and member servers. To configure computer to use server as the DNS server, please follow these steps:

1. click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. If Control Panel is in Category View, click Switch to Classic View.

3. Double-click Network Connections.

4. Right-click the icon for the local area connection, and then click Properties.

5. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

6. Under Use the following DNS server addresses, type the internal IP address (192.168.1.11), and then click OK two times.

Moreover, after you make sure all the member servers are using a local DNS server, please use the full DNS domain name when you try to add the computer to the domain. Please check to verify all the servers to use the domain name as DNS domain name.

Use the DNS domain name

To determine the DNS domain name, please follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Network Identification tab, and then check the domain name that is listed.

Moreover, if you have setup third-party firewall software in the test environment in the VMs, please remove them for the purpose to successfully join domain.

If the issue still continues with the above action, please post the content of the NetSetup.log which locates in the path C:\Windows\Debug on the problematic server here for further analysis.

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by dr-boolean2 Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:35 AM
  • David Shen,
    Thank you for your reply.

My solution was to put DNS and AD DS (DC) on the same server.

The IP was correct for the DNS server, but for some reason, the records for the DC, etc. were not created on the stand-alone DNS server.  But, when I added the DNS role to the DC, it added all the correct forwarders.

Take care,
    -d
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:22 PM