ChkDsk false Information Windows 7 Utlimate RRS feed

• Question

• I am still chasing for a solution to a problem that has recently occurred with my system. I did check similar reports in older threads but found no solution

If I check my system disk from a command prompt using fsutil the report is "NOT dirty". If I run chkdsk /f and then reboot check disk runs and reports that it has found a number of missing logs and placed them in a directory file viz

"Recovering orphaned file chkdsk 2011072194533.log (68218) into directory file 68197" and around ten similar  orphans in to the same df.

After the Windows boot I cannot find any signs of this recovery.

Recently in another forum I saw a report of similar problems from users with Asus CrossHair mother board and "Revo SATA disks"

I do not know what "Revo disks" are but I when using Win XP I had the same disk on a CrossHair motherboard before upgrading to Windows 7 and new motherboard below;

manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Model P6T
    Chipset Vendor Intel, Chipset Model X58, Chipset Revision 13, Southbridge Vendor Intel, Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
    Southbridge Revision 00

So I was wondering if other users with this motherboard have encountered similar problems?

I have concluded that the chkdsk information is meaningless as all other tests of the disk show it is in perfect condition and when it is cloned to a new identical drive AFTER running chkdsk ssfc scannow the same report is given when running chkdsk from boot=-up

Comments welcome

Onclejean

John Douglas Butler
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This command is to check the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors.

I would like to know what your real concerns on your computer are.

You could check the Event Viewer to see if chkdsk process is successful:

Open the Event Viewer and navigate to Windows Logs / Application.

In the right side section, look for:

Source: wininit

Event ID: 1001

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:07 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:52 AM