none
Found a bug? Adding alot of resources to a task creates a local resource on the server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm working with a client on building a Project Server 2013 environment and I came cross something that struck me as odd. I hope some of you will be able to reproduce the issue and maybe point me into the direction of a hotfix or a report that say's it’s a known bug?

Currently the client is working with a Project Server installment 15.0.4420.1017 and I have reproduced the issue in a 15.0.4481.1005 (March 2013) environment AND on a Project Online tennent.

I have these resources, all are enterprise resources without any custom fields active (all are specific work resources):

• ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology HBO
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology JRACAD
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology JRHBO
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology LBO
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology MBO
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology PROM
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology SRACAD
    • ABC EDIT Manufacturing Technology STAF

Now I build a new Project using the standard Enterprise project template that comes with the product.

I start with a single task that takes me 2 months (or any duration actually). The task is set to fixed duration after this. Now I add all the 8 resources in one go using the dropdown box in the Resource names column in the Tasks summary view. I save and publish the project. After this I check the project in and open it with Project Professional.

When looking at the Resource sheet I see that the following resource is now created as a local resource “ABC EDIT Manufacturin” and not all resource assignments are on the task anymore. The resources ending with “SRACAD” and “STAFF” don’t appear to have any assignment anymore.

Help me out here, am I missing something? Can you reproduce the situation in your environments?

Kind regards,

Erik

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:39 PM

Answers

• Agree Erik, this isn't related to the 'Lost Resources' but is related to the character limit - and it appears your repro  manages to avoid the warning message by making all the assignments at once - and then truncates the last - and as it doesn't match an enterprise resource it assumes it must be a local resource.  I don't know of any workarounds for this scenario - other than using Project Pro and make assignments through the Task Information dialog - or have multiple similar tasks and assign some resources to each if you need to use PWA for this scenario.

Andrew's answer was a correct answer - but to a different question - so I un-marked it to avoid confusion.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:27 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Erik,

When using the drop down in Project Professional to add the resources, there was a limitation of around 206 characters. After that a message would pop-up preventing you from adding any more resources. You had to use the "Assign Resources" option if you wanted to add multiple resources.

I am wondering if you are running into a similar issue when using the web version, and instead of throwing an error message, it just creates the additional resources as local reosurces.

I will try and run some tests when I get a chance, but may be you could test the following:

1) Use Shorter Resource Names, and see if you can replicate the issue

2)Use Project professional to do the same assignments you are doing in the web verson and see if you get the error message.

My guess is that, more than it being a bug, it is just a different way of handling long resource names string in the web version.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

I am aware of the character limit. However, that pop up doesn't show up when using the situation as described in my post. I did get the message when I added one resource at a time and after a while it did tell me I had too much resources on that task. The web version then came with the message:

"The resource list is too long. A resource list that contains more than 256 characters cannot be edited or deleted on the To line of a message. Use the resource information dialog box to edit long resource names."

However it did not come up in the situation as described above.

Regarding your suggestions:

1) Shorter resource names would help for only a short while. Because adding more resources to a single task will again generate the issue. For instance: if I add 30 resources to a task, with all a character length of 10 I will run in the same issue. Best practices set aside of course, I know that adding 30 resources to a task is bad mojo.

2) Project Pro cuts the assigning of resources also, with giving the error message similar to the one above. But rather than creating a new local resource, Pro just assigns the task to 6 out of the 8 resources I have added to the task. Which is better, if only the client worked with Project Professional...

I hope you come up with something during your tests…

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Hi Erik,

I'm not able to test it right now, but it reminds me the ghost resources bug identified by Brian Smith.

Have a look to this post to see if it helps :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2014/02/06/project-server-2013-and-project-online-what-happened-to-my-resources.aspx

Eventhough it is not exactly the same behavior that you are experiencing, it is a PS2013/Online resources related bug thus it is worth trying.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:19 PM
  • This is a know bug and should be fixed with latest Service Pack.  Actually not sure if the SP fixed, the problem, but Brian shows how to modify the SQL proc to resolve this issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2014/02/06/losing-resources-in-project-server-2013-and-project-online.aspx

Wharton

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Hi Guillaume and Wharton,

Thank you for your replies, but this has nothing to do with the issue that Brian has blogged about. Why I know this? I have reproduced the issue with Project Online and a completely fresh and SP1 implemented Project Server environment.

Further more Brian talks about the resources changing to material resources. That is not the case in my situation as described above.

Here is what I think happens on the PWA schedule page:

1) the Resource names field is limited to 256 characters.

2) I add a list of resources that comes to a total of 260 characters.

3) The scheduler cuts of the last 4 characters of the last resource and creates a new local resource.

4) The local resource now does the work that the true enterprise resource should have been doing.

Please Presanna and Guillaume let me know if you encounter the same issue with your own tennent's I asure you the bug will be there as well.

I will try and get in touch with Brian and see if he is able to take a look into this.

Thank you for your time sofar, hope we come to an answer soon.

Erik

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:39 AM
  • Agree Erik, this isn't related to the 'Lost Resources' but is related to the character limit - and it appears your repro  manages to avoid the warning message by making all the assignments at once - and then truncates the last - and as it doesn't match an enterprise resource it assumes it must be a local resource.  I don't know of any workarounds for this scenario - other than using Project Pro and make assignments through the Task Information dialog - or have multiple similar tasks and assign some resources to each if you need to use PWA for this scenario.

Andrew's answer was a correct answer - but to a different question - so I un-marked it to avoid confusion.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Owner
  • Erik,

Just adding this to confirm that I tested the scenario and was able to reproduce. As I mentioned at the beginning, it is the 256 character limit, and instead of throwing an error, PWA is creating it as a truncated local resources. 

I would call it a bug. Do keep us in loop as to the resolution, if you get any.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

• Hi Brian,

Thank you for the reply. What would be the best action to take now? I understand that it is a "bug" because it avoids the error message you schould be getting. But I also understand the work arounds...

I'll mark your reply as the answer to the forum post, however I would love to stay in the loop if this issue ever gets solved.

Kind regards,

Erik

A final note, Microsoft has anounced that this situation will be fixed with a upcomming Oktober update.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:40 PM