Dual 'Terminal' support? RRS feed

• Question

• If I connect two monitors, two keyboard and two mice, how do I setup Windows to support two terminals so the computer can be used by two users at once?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:09 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Install, Upgrade and Activate)
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please go to links below for more info,

http://www2.userful.com/products/userful-multiplier

http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products.aspx

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:00 AM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:38 PM
  • It seems pretty clear Windows 7 is designed to be used by only one user at a time, given that you can't even log in remotely via Remote Desktop without causing the console to disconnect.  If the user at the console reconnects, the remote session is disconnected.

In past versions of Windows there have been hacks that allow multiple users to operate simultaneously via remote desktop, but I've never heard of a way to run two consoles from one box.

-Noel

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to links below for more info,

http://www2.userful.com/products/userful-multiplier

http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products.aspx

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:38 PM
  • So this isn't possible without third-party apps? That's a shame.

Doesn't the Thinsoft solution violate the Windows EULA?

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Nobody else?
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 2:38 PM
  • It seems pretty clear Windows 7 is designed to be used by only one user at a time, given that you can't even log in remotely via Remote Desktop without causing the console to disconnect.  If the user at the console reconnects, the remote session is disconnected.

In past versions of Windows there have been hacks that allow multiple users to operate simultaneously via remote desktop, but I've never heard of a way to run two consoles from one box.

-Noel

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:16 PM
  • It seems pretty clear Windows 7 is designed to be used by only one user at a time, 

That's just a restriction that MS added, it's not a basic design principle. Multiples consoles would be very useful in office use as well.
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Now we're just picking nits...  Usage restrictions are designed-in just like the ability to sort filenames or manage a taskbar are designed-in.

I agree that it would be useful.  However, you're hoping for what Microsoft considers Server level performance in a single user desktop operating system, and it simply isn't going to happen.  Microsoft wants to be PAID for each user.

Possibly the closest you could get is to buy and populate a healthy terminal server and get some very thin clients for your users that cost a few hundred bucks each.  You will, of course, need licenses to run terminal services for each user.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Monday, April 5, 2010 5:55 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Microsoft wants to be PAID for each user.
    I doubt companies are not willing to pay for it.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:04 PM
  • People willing to pay are willing to buy two computers.

A "thin" client costs only a few hundred dollars nowadays.

-Noel

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:34 AM
  • People willing to pay are willing to buy two computers.

Why?

Extra computers cost way more than just extra licenses.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:28 PM