Check Names is unable to get either the DisplayName or Email id of user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having a problem with the CheckNames in Sharepoint. We are using WSS 3.0 and SQL Server 2005. The problem occurs after we are able to find users using the People Picker. A search in the people picker yields all the details such as Email, Displayname etc.., However after clicking the ADD button and OK button, it returns back to the check names box, but does not show the Displayname(typically it should show the Displayname rather than the accountid of the user) in the checknames box. It just returns back the account id with the black underline. Further clicking the ok button will add the account to the site however without any of the details such as Displayname, email, etc…The users that we are trying to look up  are however from a different domain.  

Additional info, We also have another third domain but do not have this problem of adding users by looking up users from that domain.

Pls help.

MR

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Additional info, THe infra and networking team has pointed out that this is a sharepoint configuration issue. Any ideas.

Thanks,

MR

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Hello MR,

Appearntly this issue is occuring due to 'Profile Sync' not happening for the affected users on the affected site collection. I have a KB article and a blog on this which should help.

Troubleshooting User Profile Sync issues in Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi Nishant,

Thank you, I went through your arcticle and verified each of the points in it.

Im still seeing the same err. The user account gets added to sharepoint but without its attributes such as DisplayName, Email.

As mentioned i use the WSS 3.0 so i could not find the SSP. Aside, i do not have problem in adding user from the corporate domain or another domain located in US. The problem is only with some domains located in the APAC region.

Thanks,

MR

MR
    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hello MR,

• Does this issue occur for ALL the users from concerned (APAC region) domain or only a subset of users?
    • If its only for a subset of users, do you know the other subset (for whom the issue is not occuring) are active (tp_IsActive=1; refer to my blog above for more info on this) on the concerned sharepoint site?
    • Could you add one of the problem user in concerned sharepoint site with (at least) Contributor rights, log in with that user and upload a document in a document library present on concerned site, wait for 1 hour (as Profile Sync runs every hour by default) and then see if that user still faces the same issue?
    • Could you add one of the problem user to any folder on file system on SharePoint Server, give read permissions > Click OK all the way and save the permission changes. Now open folder's permissions window (ACL list) once more and find out how is the problem user displayed now (Firstname Lastname OR domain/user OR SID number)?

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Hi Nishant,

My replies:

·  Does this issue occur for ALL the users from concerned (APAC region) domain or only a subset of users?

MR>> Yes, all users from the concerned domain

·  If its only for a subset of users, do you know the other subset (for whom the issue is not occuring) are active (tp_IsActive=1; refer to my blog above for more info on this) on the concerned sharepoint site?

MR>> NA

·  Could you add one of the problem user in concerned sharepoint site with (at least) Contributor rights, log in with that user and upload a document in a document library present on concerned site, wait for 1 hour (as Profile Sync runs every hour by default) and then see if that user still faces the same issue?

MR>> Yes, This has been verified. The issue persisists even after days. These users have all the rights including 'Contributor' rights.

·  Could you add one of the problem user to any folder on file system on SharePoint Server, give read permissions > Click OK all the way and save the permission changes. Now open folder's permissions window (ACL list) once more and find out how is the problem user displayed now (Firstname Lastname OR domain/user OR SID number)?

MR>> User is displayed as 'userid(email id)'

Kind Regards,

MR

MR
    Friday, August 26, 2011 11:55 AM
  • From the output of last point: So, even at windows folder security ACL, we dont see the username appearing as "FirstName LastName", instead it appears at user@domain.com.

Do you know if you have run the setproperty command for people picker and hence its working for People Picker? Could you run the following command and provide the output? (you can filter out any specific info and replace with generic descriptions)

stsadm –o getproperty –pn peoplepicker-searchadforests -url <WebApp>

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi Nishant,

Here's what i get for the command:

stsadm -o getproperty -propertyname peoplepicker-searchadforests -url http://ourweburl.com

<Property Exist="No" />

MR
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Hi Nishant,

I'm not too sure, but I dont think that i have run the setproperty command for the people picker to be able to display it so perfectly!

Kind Regards,

MR

MR
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Hi MR,

Further I need to look at logs etc and hence this requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone. If you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Thanks Nishant!
    MR
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:00 AM