Response Group Redundancy with two standard edition servers RRS feed

• Question

• I've got one standard edition server working perfectly with an associated edge server. I've set up a second standard edition server to act as a backup in case of a hardware failure. It's in the topology already, resiliency and trunks are configured.

To insure a quick switchover in the event of a failure should I duplicate the response groups on the second server?

• Edited by daedalus7 Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:58 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi

The best way to do this is to export your RGS configuration out of the production server using export-csrgsconfiguration command and then leave it on the DR box. In the event of failure you can then import the RGS config into the DR server as you fail users over. 

If you import with the same Line URI or SIP address of the IVR - then you are going to get ambigious errors.

You could get clever and create new RGS on DR server with new Line URI and SIP address then configure your SBC routes to transform called Number of the prod RGS IVRs and translate them to DR line URI and leave it disabled above the route to your prod lync. Then in a failure, you would just need to activate that route on the SBC and calls should go to the DR server.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Marked as answer by daedalus7 Friday, July 22, 2016 7:46 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi

The best way to do this is to export your RGS configuration out of the production server using export-csrgsconfiguration command and then leave it on the DR box. In the event of failure you can then import the RGS config into the DR server as you fail users over. 

If you import with the same Line URI or SIP address of the IVR - then you are going to get ambigious errors.

You could get clever and create new RGS on DR server with new Line URI and SIP address then configure your SBC routes to transform called Number of the prod RGS IVRs and translate them to DR line URI and leave it disabled above the route to your prod lync. Then in a failure, you would just need to activate that route on the SBC and calls should go to the DR server.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Marked as answer by daedalus7 Friday, July 22, 2016 7:46 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:38 PM
  • We're using direct SIP, in a primary/secondary configuration. That's a good idea to basically create parallel RGS's on the backup server, although lots of work...I would even have to create duplicate UM auto attendants under exchange, correct? I didn't know about the rgs config export command, that may be what I go with.
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, for the disaster recovery, we can use Export/Import RGS configuration method:

The Export-CsRgsConfiguration cmdlet and the Import-CsRgsConfiguration cmdlet enable you to export data about your current implementation of the Response Group application (including such things as workflows, queues, agent groups, holiday sets and business hours, as well as audio files and service configuration settings) and then later import (or re-import) that information. This can be extremely useful in a disaster recovery scenario (for example, in a case where the server hosting the Response Group application has failed) or if you simply need to transfer the Response Group application to a different pool.

Note that the Export-CsRgsConfiguration cmdlet and the Import-CsRgsConfiguration cmdlet are designed to work only with Lync Server 2013 and Skype for Business Server 2015. If you want to migrate Response Group data from Microsoft Lync Server 2010 to Skype for Business Server 2015, you should use the Move-CsRgsConfiguration cmdlet instead.

For more details, please refer to following documents:

Export-CsRgsConfiguration: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205011.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396  

Import-CsRgsConfiguration: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205245.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

For example: Export-CsRgsConfiguration -Source "ApplicationServer:pool01.contoso.com" -Filename "C:\RgsConfig.zip"

Import-CsRgsConfiguration -Destination "ApplicationServer:pool02.contoso.com" -FileName "C:\RgsConfig.zip"

Hope useful to you. 

• Edited by Jerry Ye Friday, July 22, 2016 7:10 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 7:04 AM
  • auto attendants can be assigned multiple numbers, you would just need to create an exum contact object and register it to the DR FE under a different SIP address and Line URI. Then just modify your backup RGS actions accordingly.

I wouldn't advise using the move-csrgsconfiguration command because this is a migration command and not a DR solution. The Move command relies on both source and destination being online because the RGS databases are stored locally. If the main server is down, the move command will fail. So you need to export your RGS configuration ahead of time and keep a current most up to date copy always offline.

The import and export command work with SfB too and although the technet page describes it the way Jerry has posted, it is for live migrations. In a DR event you have to fall back to the export / import method (assuming export has happened before failure).

thanks

Friday, July 22, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Agree with you. And thanks for your remind. Yes, this method is for Live Migration. We need to export the RGS configuration before any events of failure.

Friday, July 22, 2016 8:29 AM