none
Ms Project server does not allow to save Actual hours when trying to check in RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with Ms Project 2010 Server. When I check out a project plan, update the actual hours and remaining hours and try to check in with the changes, I get an error that says that updates to the actual work will not be saved as this has to be entered using the web app. There are multiple project plans on the server and most of them use the time sheets web app to update the actual hours. However, my projects will not be using the time sheets and I need to update the actual and remaining hours directly in the project plan.

Further, I do not get this error always. Sometimes I am able to check in the project with the update to actual and remaining work I am not able to figure out when this error is generated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Protected actuals might be the issue here, or rather a setting that only allows updates from PWA.  i haven't got a 2010 server infront of me currently, so i'm sure someone else will wade in with the right terminology.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hi There

If you have enabled to option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets' under 'Task Settings and Display' in PWA, all task updates (actual work) entered in My Tasks and updated into Microsoft Project become 'Protected Actuals': i.e. you are not allowed to modify actual work from within Microsoft Project.

You can however, for what-if analysis or any other purpose, modify actual work temporary in your project plan. As a result, actual work is out-of-sync with the 'protected' actual work entered in PWA. Using the 'Synch to Protected Actuals' option, you can resynchronize actual work in your schedule with actual work imported from the server.

If you save your project, actual work is automatically sync'ed with protected actuals.

The way I see it, this feature is a left-over from Project Server 2003 and has no use anymore in Project Server 2010 (people should not be able to modify actual work in the first place if you enable the option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets'). But that's a different discussion...

hope this helps,

Dev EPM Consultant

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:17 AM