Posready 2009 and Virtualbox RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any problem to install POSREADY 2009 in a virtual machine? I am trying without success. I have created a 20 Gb fixed virtual disk, the installation goes on ok. After boot, blue screen complaining about crusoe.sys. Safe mode works... Any ideas? Thanks in advance

-Fabio

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:12 AM

Answers

• Windows Embedded platforms in general do not support virtualization.  While technically you may be able to get it to work in certain circumstances, it is violating the license agreement of the platform.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Fabio,

If your intent is to run POSReady in a virtual environment after your Evaluation the licensing does not support this.  If it is just so that you can Evaluate then deploy to local machines once you obtain your licensing then I guess that is OK.  It is just not a technically supported scenario therefore it is difficult for us to help with the process.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I don't know how the processor could cause any effect, but in the end, you can always install on real hardware for evaluation. You might want to consider real hardware since you will want to interact with POS devices and not have the overhead of a VM. As Terry is pointing out, VM is not a scenario that POSReady was tested for since it is intended to be a local native OS solution. 

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• Did you select Windows XP 32 bit as the OS for the virtual machine OS?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, Sean.  I always thought that this field was used just for information, and didnt take any effect on the behavior of the virtual machine. Anyway, I am using Linux Ubuntu 11.4 with Virtualbox 4.0.8 installed. There is no option like XP 32bit, just Windows XP (which was selected). I have change this option to the most suitable one (Other windows) and the problem remains.

I will try give more informations: After installation, when I boot the virtual machine, during FBA (First Boot Agent), I always get the bluescreen. Then if I try to boot in safe mode, FBA goes on and installs some other components, and even asks for Windows XP SP3 disk. After this, I can boot and login normally in safe mode, but always get the blue screen (crusoe.sys) in a normal boot.

Thanks again in advance for any ideas

-Fabio
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Windows Embedded platforms in general do not support virtualization.  While technically you may be able to get it to work in certain circumstances, it is violating the license agreement of the platform.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Terry, thanks for your answer. But I am just trying to see if POSready meets my requirements in a virtual environment. Thats what evaluation CD stands for, isnt it?  And if I buy the license, where is the violation? I didnt understand your point of view. 

-Fabio

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:45 PM
  • I have installed POSREady 2009 and 7 on VirtualBox. For POSReady2009 I setup the VirtualBox with Windows XP as the select OS. It does make a difference what OS is selected to create the VM.

-Sean

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Sean,

My first attempt installing POSReady 2009 was with "Windows XP" selected. I have already installed POSReady7 in the same environment and everything works fine. I am not sure if the processor of the real machine (ATOM) has any impact so I will copy the virtual disk to another PC and see it it works. Thanks again

Fabio

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Fabio,

If your intent is to run POSReady in a virtual environment after your Evaluation the licensing does not support this.  If it is just so that you can Evaluate then deploy to local machines once you obtain your licensing then I guess that is OK.  It is just not a technically supported scenario therefore it is difficult for us to help with the process.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I don't know how the processor could cause any effect, but in the end, you can always install on real hardware for evaluation. You might want to consider real hardware since you will want to interact with POS devices and not have the overhead of a VM. As Terry is pointing out, VM is not a scenario that POSReady was tested for since it is intended to be a local native OS solution. 

-Sean

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:49 PM