none
Does SharePoint 2013 have Power Query services similar to Power Pivot and Power View? RRS feed

• Question

• Does SharePoint 2013 include services to host/support Power Query content similar to the way it hosts Power Pivot content in the Power Pivot Gallery? 

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi bmorrishome,

SharePoint refresh of workbooks involving Power Query queries isn't currently available. This is high priority for us and we're working on enabling this capability. However, we can't share any specific timelines yet.

Could you let us know whether you mean SharePoint Online or SharePoint on-prem?

Thanks,
    M.

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi bmorrishome,

SharePoint refresh of workbooks involving Power Query queries isn't currently available. This is high priority for us and we're working on enabling this capability. However, we can't share any specific timelines yet.

Could you let us know whether you mean SharePoint Online or SharePoint on-prem?

Thanks,
    M.

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:23 AM
  • We are SharePoint on-prem.

I definitely understand the new model for Online and Office 365 but my company is strictly on-prem. 

Thanks for your quick reply.

bm

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Miguel.  Is there an update to this?  New information or new timeline?

We have SP 2013 Enterprise, on-prem.  I'm finding that Power Query 's ability to get CSV or XML or other Web Services content, and then load it up to PowerPivot, is a way to address the lack of ODATA connectivity options on the web.  :-(

I would very much like to be able to create an XLS doc, with a Power Query to a CSV file, Loaded to PowerPivot, and have SP's Excel Services/PowerPivot engine continue to update the content for me.  It fails today, as you stated above.

Do you even think this will be updated for the on-prem version of SharePoint 2013 or will it only live in Power BI for Office 365?

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hello everybody

I Work on a similar scenario where i retrieve data from an SQL Server database using PowerQuery. I did some shaping manipulations then i load data to powerpivot data model.

So the connection is made by PowerQuery and not PowerPivot. And i am unable to automate data refresh in sharepoint using powerpivot

IS the any workaround ?

Thank you 

Anouar

sharepoint 2010

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:59 AM
  • wow. this is a long time ago. as far as i can tell this is still not available?

we use power query to get json data from REST web api's into excel. this works well, but we can't refresh our views when we display the excel views in sharepoint 2013 (using office 365 with sharepoint online).

any updates on this?

cheers, and kind regards,

Gregor

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:50 PM
  • Hi Gregor, 

The most recent update the data management gateway (v1.2, August 19th, 2014) added support for Power Query connection strings to OData sources but that's as close as it gets to your requirement at present. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2014/08/19/scheduled-data-refresh-update-new-data-sources.aspx

Cheers, 

Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike Watt Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:36 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Hi Gregor, 

The most recent update the data management gateway (v1.2, August 19th, 2014) added support for Power Query connection strings to OData sources but that's as close as it gets to your requirement at present. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2014/08/19/scheduled-data-refresh-update-new-data-sources.aspx

Cheers, 

Mike

Data Management Gateway is a solution that could benefit Online SharePoint (Office 365 Power BI) users but not On Premise users which is how I landed here and what the original thread is about.

Online SharePoint has added support for SQL Server and Oracle and lots of other Power Query data sources but best I can tell, On Premise SharePoint 2013 still will not support scheduled refreshes of PowerPivot workbooks that make use of any Power Query data connections.

Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Anything new here?
    Friday, July 31, 2015 6:58 PM
  • Bump.  Really, really need this functionality and it does not seem too difficult to accomplish in two years
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:53 PM
  • If the functionality ever arrives to on-prem SP, chances are high that it will only apply to SP2016. You should turn to 3rd party tools.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 6:10 PM
  • I found this, which could help you bridge the gap until the features are added to on-prem SP:

http://www.power-planner.com

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:10 AM