none
Rate Limits & Time Zones RRS feed

• Question

• Using SCCM-SP1 R2...A question regarding bandwidth throttling between a primary & secondary site.  When configuring the Rate Limits schedule, I want to confirm that is using the local time of the primary server where I'm making the change.

Example:  Primary site server in eastern USA, secondary site server in Europe.  I need to configure rate limits so that we don't overwhelm the European WAN link during their business hours, which is 1am-9am  eastern USA time.  So on my primary site server, I would configure the rate limits on the secondary site address so that from 1am-9am EST we use only 25% of the link.  I should always use the local time on the primary site server.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the help,
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:00 PM

Answers

• Secondary server doesn't contain data base, you are viewing your secondry site properties from primary site console only, so in both cases it will apply primary site server time only.
    Surendar Reddy
    • Proposed as answer by Reddy Surendar Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:15 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• Yes it is using local time of your primary, so you need to see the time difference between your primary and secondary site and use the time as per that.
    Surendar Reddy
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...related question from a different angle:  If I expand the secondary site in the SCCM console, I can set the rate limits on the address back to the primary site system.  Note that the console is running on the primary site server, so I'm assuming that this schedule will also be in the primary site server's local time ? 

What happens if the rate limits on the two addresses differ?   Does one take precedence, or are they only throttling the traffic one-way (Primary-->Secondary when setting the limits on the secondary's address,  and Secondary-->Primary when setting the limit on the primary's address from the secondary's perspective) ??

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Secondary server doesn't contain data base, you are viewing your secondry site properties from primary site console only, so in both cases it will apply primary site server time only.
    Surendar Reddy
    • Proposed as answer by Reddy Surendar Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:15 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:43 PM