none
Failed to recognize the storage pool after installing Windows 10 again

Question

• Recently my SSD root drive has failed, with a 3TB HDD storage pool running on raid 1. After I have installed Windows 10 on another 640GB HDD, it shows up a warning which said "Drives with an unrecognized configuration". The physical drives are healthy. Could anyone come up a solution for me without having to reset the drives and lose all the data?

Monday, May 28, 2018 1:46 PM

All replies

• This is pretty much as if you move physical raid member disks to a new server: They will be detected as foreign and you have to import the raid configuration from the disks. Storage spaces is like a software raid controller and you have to handle this in Windows. The article below is for 2012, but gives you a good idea about the steps needed:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2012/12/24/windows-server-2012-how-to-import-a-storage-pool-on-another-server/

Monday, May 28, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Did you disconnect the storage drives while you re-installed Windows? If not Windows 10 reinstall may have written something to one of the disks, which would cause your problem.

Since it is raid one you can disconnect the drives from the raid controller and use a sata to usb adapter to copy your data to another drive, then rebuild the storage pool and copy the data back. You may have to use disk management to import a single disk from raid one array.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:15 AM
  • Any update?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:16 AM