none
Linking tasks in Master Project RRS feed

• Question

• In a similar vein I have had some inconsistencies when creating links between tasks in two sub-projects.

I see them in the Master Project and use the drag & drop technique to link the two tasks - 50% of the time it works like a charm but the other 50% I get a message to say I am trying to link the task to itself - even though they are in separate files.

Anyone else experienced a similar behaviour?

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:28 PM

All replies

• Gordon,

This is really a different topic and should be a separate new post. I'm not a moderator otherwise I would do so.

But to address your issue, the message is trying to tell you that you will create a circular reference. I'd open the master and trace the network logic. You will most likely find some "backward pass" links that would contribute to the circular reference. Clean those up and you will solve the issue.

Another possible source of the issue is links on summary lines. Those can easily create the potential for circular references. Restructure any summary line links.

John

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I have split this into a new thread.  I also have to say that the drag and drop method of linking is my absolute least favorite.  Select one task, CTRL+Click to select the second and click the link task button.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Julie,

Thanks for moving this under its own heading. I felt it might get lost under the ongoing thread of the original post.

I personally haven't had any problem with the drag and drop method of linking but it does require that the two tasks to be linked are visible in the view, otherwise the fast scroll can drive one nuts. I find that using a simple filter can isolate the desired tasks so they are easy to link using either method.

John

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:11 PM
  • You're a braver man than I, John :-)
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:43 PM