Windows Vista - Flash drive Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a Kingston flash drive, it will not show up on "MyComputer".

My san disk Cruzer will, or atleast it did before it was stollen, but my 1gig Kingston Dosent show up.

What do I do?
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, please test your Kingston flash drive on another computer to see whether it works.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible)you’re your device.

Meanwhile, please involve Kingston flash drive vendor for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, please test your Kingston flash drive on another computer to see whether it works.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall USB device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible)you’re your device.

Meanwhile, please involve Kingston flash drive vendor for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Many thanks.  Brought my teenagers Asus laptops and canon mp240 printer - printer worked fine from one laptop but not the other.  Didnt have a clue why?? After browsing web for answers and looking into both laptops USB connection thingie...  I discovered my daughters laptop (containing vast software like Archicad and Pro Eng etc),  had this strange USBfilter.sys (digitally unsigned by some Advanced Micro Co), whereas my sons (containing basic Vista) did not.  Your instructions worked perfectly - she can now print from her laptop!!!!  thank you thank you, you have made an old lady (49) feel not nearly so useless when it comes to solving computer problems - my teenagers are FLOORED!!!!!
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:33 AM