Forefront on Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone  here using Frofront on Sharepoint (MOSS 2007)? Seems there is no post here. I am worring about perfromance.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:50 AM

All replies

• drjtdyjkdtyj
    Friday, September 5, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Hi michael,

Could you be more specific about what do you worry about performance? Is it uploading/downloading scan time? or some timeout during scan, etc.

Silver Sun
    Program Manager
    Forefront for SharePoint
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  Silver,

I am worrying about the uploading scan time; as I have use the trendmicro product before, we have only scan uploading documents; speed is not so good and the memory of the program will getting bigger and bigger. We have to stop the process and start up again; at last we have to setup a schedule to re-start the process once a week.

Michael
    Monday, September 29, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Michael, that is called  cacheing

When a virus scan is reading content it will cache almost all of the data, but will release it after it is done reading the content..

Which TrendMicro is not part of Sharepoint.

So, what is it you are trying to achieve with sharepoint that you are haveing difficulties with?
    • Edited by Shadow-Copy Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:57 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:56 PM
  • I think the main issue is speed and the stability of the sharepoint server. What I can do is may be not installing any anti-virus software for sharepoint and let the client side do the scanning when they download the documents.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:35 AM
  • Michael,

Defend in depth would be what we want here. And Forefront Security for SharePoint would utilize multiple engines to secure the SharePoint, preventing malware from even entering SharePoint or reaching the desktop and save some bandwidth. Besides, it has content filtering also(filtering keywords and bad file type/names).

For performance, SharePoint itself will bypass Forefront after the first scanning of a particular document. This would mean the second user who access the same document would be farster. What "Shadow-Copy" said is true, since we need the whole file to perform the scan, memory would go up and down around the scan. we would recommend at least 2G memory.

For stability, it's been tested in many enviroment. Please let me know if you have specific problem here.

Hope this helps.

Silver Sun
    Program Manager
    Forefront for SharePoint
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:16 AM