App-V 5 SP2 and publishing Office 2013 to users on RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a problem with App-V 5 on RDS Servers.
    My scenario is like this, I have Office 2013 published Globally to over 20 RDS servers and I'm using App-Locker and groups to control access to the Office 2013 package.
    Now when I add a new user to the office 2013 group he doesn't get the Office package published to him because the packages is in use and will be try'd at a later time. Witch means computer restart but I also have network loadbalance and session broker so the user isn't always logging to the same server.

Has anyone had this problem or know how I can publish the Office 2013 package to the user's without restarting.

Best Regards Kristjan R. Halldorsson

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I am truely confused by how you are attempting to achieve things.

1. The Office 2013 package is only supported if deployed globally

2. AppLocker is the way to restrict users from starting different applications

3. Office 2013 is not supported to be published to users

It seems you have issues with #3. Which is not supported. I am not saying it "doesn't" work, but considering you have issues with it - perhaps we can start by not doing it?

Ok, so what do we have left;

Per your statement, Office 2013 is published globally. Ergo, all shortcuts and applications should be available to all users.

Is this true?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

So a package, that is published globally to everyone, needs to be published for the user - again?

It seems very odd. Why are you also publishing the package to the user?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Hi

Because all users are not supposed to get the package so I publish it to a group with custom deployment configuration where I add the users that are supposed to have access to Office.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:04 AM
  • What technology do you use to deploy the packages? App-V Server, ConfigMgr..?

How do you attempt to apply different configurations for machine vs. user?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:02 PM
  • Hi

I use App-V Server to deploy the package, I use app-locker to block access to office for everyone except those that are in the office group.

The package is published globally to the servers and users that are not in the office group don't see it or have access to it. The users that are in the office group have the package published to them with deployment configuration that creates shortcuts to the desktop and to all programs.
    But when I add a new user to the office group I'm unable to publish the user configuration (and the package) to the user because the office package is in use and will be try'd at later time.
    Then I would need to stop the package to be able to publish it to the user but that isn't an option because other users might be using Office.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hello,

I am truely confused by how you are attempting to achieve things.

1. The Office 2013 package is only supported if deployed globally

2. AppLocker is the way to restrict users from starting different applications

3. Office 2013 is not supported to be published to users

It seems you have issues with #3. Which is not supported. I am not saying it "doesn't" work, but considering you have issues with it - perhaps we can start by not doing it?

Ok, so what do we have left;

Per your statement, Office 2013 is published globally. Ergo, all shortcuts and applications should be available to all users.

Is this true?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:06 PM