Trouble recognizing drives RRS feed

• Question

• A couple months ago, I bought and installed Vista 64 on a brand new system I put together.  Just recently, I took an ATA hard drive from my old system (It was running Win2K) to get to some files, and installed it into my system.  Upon booting, windows said it found new hardware and was installing it, but under Disk Management, it says the drive is invalid.  It's listed as a dynamic drive (it was partitioned into two drives on the old machine, not sure if that's a factor), and the only action available is to convert it to a basic drive, but I can't loose all the date on the disk.

I don't know if the other problem I have is related or not, but when I put the machine together, I had a dvd drive that I used to install everything (software, drivers, OS, etc.), but after getting everything running and then updating Windows, the drive no longer works.  I checked the driver (which it says is working, just like with the hard drive) and even went out and bought another dvd drive, but got the same result.  I checked with the dvd drives to make sure other people were successfully using them with Vista 64, and they are compatible.

If anyone can offer any insight, especially about my hard drive, it would be greatly appreciated.

My system:

Intel E6850 3.00GHz
    4G RAM
    ST3500630A ATA hard drive (not working)
    ST3750640ASATA hard drive (working)
    NVIDIA GeFOrce 8500 GT
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-71905 ATA (not working)
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-215D ATA (not working)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:30 AM

Answers

•  TigerBob wrote:
    A couple months ago, I bought and installed Vista 64 on a brand new system I put together.  Just recently, I took an ATA hard drive from my old system (It was running Win2K) to get to some files, and installed it into my system.  Upon booting, windows said it found new hardware and was installing it, but under Disk Management, it says the drive is invalid.  It's listed as a dynamic drive (it was partitioned into two drives on the old machine, not sure if that's a factor), and the only action available is to convert it to a basic drive, but I can't loose all the date on the disk.

I don't know if the other problem I have is related or not, but when I put the machine together, I had a dvd drive that I used to install everything (software, drivers, OS, etc.), but after getting everything running and then updating Windows, the drive no longer works.  I checked the driver (which it says is working, just like with the hard drive) and even went out and bought another dvd drive, but got the same result.  I checked with the dvd drives to make sure other people were successfully using them with Vista 64, and they are compatible.

If anyone can offer any insight, especially about my hard drive, it would be greatly appreciated.

My system:

Intel E6850 3.00GHz
    4G RAM
    NVIDIA GeFOrce 8500 GT

Windows Vista sometimes has "issues" seeing drived not formatted in Vista.

There are several work-arounds you can try:

Put the drive back into your Windows 2000 system and share the folders with the Vista machine through your home network (if you have one)

Put the drive in someone elses machine to temporarily copy the data to their extra space, then install the drive in the Vista machine and format it, then reinstall it into the other machine and copy the data back to it.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the hard disk issue, I agree with Mandark.

Regarding the DVD rom issue, you can try to modify the following key under registry to troubleshoot this issue.

Modify the Registry

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:56 AM

All replies

•  TigerBob wrote:
    A couple months ago, I bought and installed Vista 64 on a brand new system I put together.  Just recently, I took an ATA hard drive from my old system (It was running Win2K) to get to some files, and installed it into my system.  Upon booting, windows said it found new hardware and was installing it, but under Disk Management, it says the drive is invalid.  It's listed as a dynamic drive (it was partitioned into two drives on the old machine, not sure if that's a factor), and the only action available is to convert it to a basic drive, but I can't loose all the date on the disk.

My system:

Intel E6850 3.00GHz
    4G RAM
    NVIDIA GeFOrce 8500 GT

Windows Vista sometimes has "issues" seeing drived not formatted in Vista.

There are several work-arounds you can try:

Put the drive back into your Windows 2000 system and share the folders with the Vista machine through your home network (if you have one)

Put the drive in someone elses machine to temporarily copy the data to their extra space, then install the drive in the Vista machine and format it, then reinstall it into the other machine and copy the data back to it.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the hard disk issue, I agree with Mandark.

Regarding the DVD rom issue, you can try to modify the following key under registry to troubleshoot this issue.

Modify the Registry

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:56 AM