Aero: 64 MB or 128 MB video RAM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone:

I find it hard to get a final answer on the amount of video RAM that is required to run Aero... Most posts seem to indicate 128 MB, but some posts still include the listing that splits it out by resolution; which seem to indicate that 64 MB is sufficient to run Aero on resolutions of less than about 1.4 megapixels.

I need a new laptop, and really would like to know what the final answer is, because it will determine what I should get...

(I am considering the Gateway CX210X tablet PC, which has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 with 64 MB...)

Thanks,

SA.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 12:37 PM

Answers

• The Intel 945 chipset is officially supported on Vista according to Microsoft & Intel, but I haven't tried it so no first-hand knowledge.  I would tend to agree with Aaron - should be fine on any supported 128MB card, including the integrated Intel 945.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 7:40 PM

All replies

• The best information that I've been able to find yet says that you need 128MB to run Aero (or at least to get the "Vista Premium Ready" sticker).  Check here:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

From what little testing I've done, you probably will want the extra video memory if you run Aero.  It's a pretty nice interface, but also pretty resource intensive.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Any ideas about a tablet PC with the Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset? (if I would alot 128 MB of RAM to the video card?)

SA.

Friday, October 6, 2006 12:20 AM
  • Windows Vista will run Aero on 128 MB Graphics card quite happily with only slight sluggishness.  I run it on a PCI GeForce FX 5500 with 128 and it works fine, so any 128 should be okay.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 4:26 PM
  • The Intel 945 chipset is officially supported on Vista according to Microsoft & Intel, but I haven't tried it so no first-hand knowledge.  I would tend to agree with Aaron - should be fine on any supported 128MB card, including the integrated Intel 945.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 7:40 PM
  • Thank you both for your insights... I think I'll go the integrated video card route then... (the specs of the tablet indicate that I could allocate up to 224 MB of video RAM)

SA.

Friday, October 6, 2006 10:25 PM
  • im running vista ultimate with mine, am rather impressed at how much faster it is than xp, which im guessing is due to the duo core.
    Friday, January 5, 2007 6:13 AM
  • it should also run fine on 64 MB geforce 6100, thats what my box runs on. and Aero is no problem as long as you get the driver, which you should automatically get if you do windows update.

but really it depends on your gfx card and the drivers.

Friday, January 26, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Look if u want aero on 945G chipset you got to upgrade your software using Intel online driver update utility
    some will say use lakeport
    but go for the vista version of 945G version 7
    this will enable aero theme automatically
    i just ran it
    and works perfect
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Go to crystalxp.net, and in the search box at the top right ,type "True Transparency." It will sow a list of things under it after, so just click on Gallery. then when you see something like "True Transparency 1.4.1" or "TrueTransparency," click on it, click download "should be beside the preview picture.looks like the fire fox symbol.) Extract, and open the folder. after that click on a program called "True Transparency." when it opens it'll be in the system tray andsee that you don't need to waste money to buy a new computer. it works with 32 mb of ram too(4x less than aero!)If you right click it you can enable Aero Shake, AeroSnap, WinRoll, and Run At Startup. You can even change themes or "skins" from the "Skins" menu (4th from the bottom). If you're an "ok" photoshopper and very light developer, you can make your own skins too!By the way another answer to your question is that the OFFICIAL minimum amount of VRAM or "video RAM" is 128 mb, but i would consider using a bit more(like 256, 320 or 512. but mostly the 320 or 512 because you need some more memory for your entire desktop and other programs wanting more VRAM, unless you want to lag A LOT, or even crash if you need more than your card has.)I still suggest you stick with true transparency because it also gives a good aero interface with hogging ram.
    • Proposed as answer by da de piao Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:35 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:47 PM
  • You can run aero with 64 mb but it will not be as good as with more MB. I am actually runing aero on my secondary computer with 64MB.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:43 PM