Compressed folder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a 35MB compressed file. For extracting it is taking around 2 hours. And it is very slow. Just similar to the following issue:

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/111073.aspx

Please suggest any solution
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• That's due to UAC "User Access Control", you should get a message asking you to allow file to be exctracted "screen will turn to transparent grey color", if you didn't get it, go to Control Panel, in Users, disable UAC. If you passed it, you should know that Windows Vista deals with hundreds of handles and procresses in same time, so depending on quality of hard dirve you have, it will take longer time to process your file extraction.

Good luck

Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:50 PM

All replies

• That's due to UAC "User Access Control", you should get a message asking you to allow file to be exctracted "screen will turn to transparent grey color", if you didn't get it, go to Control Panel, in Users, disable UAC. If you passed it, you should know that Windows Vista deals with hundreds of handles and procresses in same time, so depending on quality of hard dirve you have, it will take longer time to process your file extraction.

Good luck

Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Thanks for your prompt response, unfortunately it didn't prompted for me regarding UAC. And I checked with the hard drive specification it is having 5400RPM.. I also disabled UAC and same result....
    Sunday, February 4, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Well, same experience on Vista Home Premium.

Extracted the same file on Winzip on XP (on another computer), it did it in 2 minutes. The current extract on Vista is still only 50% done with the estimated completion in 20 minutes.

The copying speed ranges from 88 bytes/sec to 200 bytes/sec.

Did all the steps recommended but still the same result.

Hope there is a fix soon.

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:20 PM