none
Wrong dates displayed in network diagram RRS feed

• Question

• One of my users is having a strange problem with Project 2010 Pro. In his network diagram, all of the summary and milestone tasks have Start and Finish of 1/1/84, while the detail tasks have the right dates. The dates for the summaries and milestones are correct everywhere else - Task Information shows the right dates. The project does have a start date.

I did find that if I chose Reset to Default in the Network Diagram menu, it would correct the dates on my copy of the project. However, that didn't work on the user's workstation.

We are using XP Pro. We are not using Project Server.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

• I pinged some of the Microsoft folks about this, and the response was as
    follows:

1) The issue appears to be related to the migration of a 2007 version of
    the Global.mpt file to 2010.
    2) Deleting the Global.MPT file should restore all of the views to the default.
    3) Before doing so, you may want to use the Organizer to ensure any custom
    views are copied to an MPP file and then copied back into the new Global.MPT
    file.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi WBCO1,

1/1/84 is the begining of the Date Range allowed by MS Project; and 2010 is marking Start of all Summary tasks as 1/1/84, reset does change the Dates but it tends to rollback too, when you keep repeating. I tried to look for some KB articles but couldn't find any. While this was not in the case of MS Project 2007. May be someone could suggest on it :)

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:21 PM
  • The network diagram templates may be modified.  My guess is that is what
    happened here.  In 2007, check out Format > Box Styles to see if those have
    been modified.

In 2010, navigate to the Network Diagram view, and select Box Styles under
    the Format tab.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I guess you missed the point : its about the Dates of Summary tasks picking up 1/1/84. Is there a way or setting to change it through the MS Project interface.

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Are you talking about the network diagram view?  If so, then it sounds like the template for the summary tasks may have been modified.  If you're talking about the Gantt Chart, I am not sure where you are seeing this data.

Where exactly is 1/1/84 showing up?

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Its Network Diagram view, just create 4 tasks and make first task as Summary Task, define linkages for tasks. Then go to Network Diagram view. The Summary task Dates will be 1/1/84. When you reset it does change but it is not sticky sort. I have fresh installation with no modifications done to any view/table.

Start and Finish Dates of Summary Tasks in the Boxes shows as 1/1/84 in Network Diagram view.

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Sapna/WBC01,

I guess we need more information. I created 4 tasks, made the first a summary line, and linked the other three finish-to-start. When I display the Network Diagram, all dates appear as they should. It makes no difference whether the tasks are manually or automatically scheduled. What is the "reset" you referred to?

My configuration is Project Pro 2010 version 14.04751.1000 32-bit. No updates are applied. My OS is Windows 7.

John

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Hi John,

I tested when the query was posted and got same results in Network Diagram with or without Auto Mode. Reset option appears when you click a triangle next to Network Diagram menu in top ribbon menu bar -> Reset to Defualt comes.

I have same confguration as your's, but still get the Summary Task's Box saying Start n Finish as 1/1/84 and I tested it on several files.

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Sapna,

I don't quite understand your first statement. You say you got the same results. Which results, correct date or the 1/1/84 date?

I did finally find the reset button. Man I hate that new ribbon. Hitting the reset made no difference (i.e. my network diagram summary box shows the correct dates)

I doubt we do have exactly the same configuration since I do not see the problem and you do. Something is different. But I don't have time to play with it now, I'm off to dig (literally).

John

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Andrew, I've looked at the Box Styles, but I'm not sure what to look for. What kind of template modification could concievably cause the date to display as 1/1/84?
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Sapna, I have version 14.0.5128.5000 on XP Pro - an ever later build. At least there are two of us having this problem so I know I'm not crazy!

I was given the project file with the problem already appearing, but I just tried creating a new project and the dates are OK. Therefore I suspect the other user's PC has something wrong with the Summary template.

I found that I can correct the problem by exporting to XML and importing it to an empty project file. Then the dates display properly, but I have not checked this on the user's machine yet.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Oh no you are not at all crazy, sometimes there could be something that we may miss or need some Service Pack updates etc. XML is always the option but since after you posted the query I worked on it and found same dates as 1/1/84 so I m just trying to figure out what is happening actually or what is that we are missing.
    Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Perhaps someone else out there can answer the question raised here. On the network diagram view, how can a box style be modified such that it will display 1/1/84 instead of the correct summary task date? If someone can tell us, we can reverse that change and move on.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 3:26 PM
  • My entire company is having this problem with our current installation of MS Project 2010. All of our timelines, whether created in 2010 or an earlier version, when we view them in the network diagram view, show the 1/1/84 date for all milestones and summary tasks. It has unfortunately rendered this feature useless for us, as the 1984 dates cause significant confusion when shared with the teams. I will look elsewhere for a resolution to this issue and post if I can find it.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:23 PM
  • I pinged some of the Microsoft folks about this, and the response was as
    follows:

1) The issue appears to be related to the migration of a 2007 version of
    the Global.mpt file to 2010.
    2) Deleting the Global.MPT file should restore all of the views to the default.
    3) Before doing so, you may want to use the Organizer to ensure any custom
    views are copied to an MPP file and then copied back into the new Global.MPT
    file.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm using Project 2010 on WinXP and cannot find the global.mpt file to delete it. Where does it reside? Does it have a new name in Project 2010? This is a problem that I'm trying resolve as well and this looks like the fix I need but if I can't find the file to delete it, then I'm still stuck :-/

I've done searches on "global.mpt", "global.*" and come up with ... nothing.

TIA,

Phyllis

Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Hi Phyllis,

Here is the path for Global MPT : C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\14\1033\Global.MPT

Sapna S
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

Thanks for the quick reply! However, when I look at my computer, I have no C:\Users. I've looked under Documents and Settings but didn't find anything.

This could be the difference between how your computer is set up and how my company sets up our computers? In any case, that path doesn't exist on my computer. :-(

I should mention that I'm using Project 2010 STANDARD, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help ... I'll keep looking!

Phyllis

• Proposed as answer by CdrIvanova Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CdrIvanova Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:25 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:23 PM
  • FINALLY! OK, for others who may this problem in locating global.mpt, here's the path where I found mine (once again, MS Project 2010 standard running on WinXP):

c:\Documents and Settings\(yourusername)\Application Data\Microsoft\MS Project\14\1033

Please note that this did NOT come up when doing a search on the directory, which is weird.

Good luck to all,

Phyllis

Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I removed two global,mpt files (one was under the folder named 14 as specifice above, one also was under the folder name 12)  but that didn't work.

I used the reset option and that cleared it up.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Hello Andrew, 

After deleting the Global Template file, and opening the project to view the Network Diagram, the start and finish date still remain the same as of old "1-1-84.

Kindly assist.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Having same issue with MS-Project 2013

What I did was to:

1. Right Click on an empty space on the Network view to get

2. Box Styles and click on More Templates

3. Edit the Summary Template

4. Change Start (which is showing 1/1/84) to Start1 (or any other field)

5. Put it back as Start (which now shows 1/11/16) correct date

6. Do the same for Finish Date

7. OK, CLOSE, OK

This solved the problem on that file, need to do on each file.

Would this had to do with the Y2K "fix". Example, Excel: interprets 1/1/29 as 1/1/2019 but 1/1/30 as 1/1/1930, this is documented and can be changes in control panel as explained at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/214391

but couldn't find the equivalent for MS-Project.

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:05 PM